Connecting Stack Lights to the Controller

A question of interest from our Technical Support group will be posted here each day.
JUN

Connecting Stack Lights to the Controller

Postby JUN » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 am

I'm working on a project that motor running, green light of the stack light ON and if I press the button, yellow light turns ON and green light turns OFF.

The speed controller and stack lights (tower lights that have green, yellow, red lights) share the same power supply.
But when I turn off the green light and turn on the yellow light, then motor stalls with "AL46" on the controller.
I've noticed the needle on the power supply went down and went up when changing lights.

Is there any way to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Motor: 5IK90UGVR-UA
Gearhead: 5GVR180A
Controller: DSC-U

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Connecting Stack Lights to the Controller

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi JUN,

The AL46 is the "prevention of operation at power-on." This means that the power was supplied to the DSC-U speed controller while either the Forward or Reverse input was on.

The prevention of operation at power-on is a parameter of the speed controller which can be turned off. In order to do this, you will need to go to the oPAL parameter and set it to oFF. Once you do this, the alarm will no longer generate. You can reference the oPAL parameter on page 29 of the manual linked below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 345-2E.pdf

So that I can better understand the operation of the stack lights, can you answer the following questions:
1.) Is there a purpose for manually turning off the green light and turning on the yellow light?
2.) Can you further explain how the DSC-U speed controller is connected to the stack light? Is there a wiring diagram that you can provide?

JUN

Postby JUN » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks for the response.

Here are my answers to your questions.
1) This system will be used for production line. Green light normally turns on, but when operators need help, they press the button and then the light changes from green to yellow.

2) I don't have a wiring diagram. +24V of the power supply, +24V input to the speed controller and positive points of the lights are connected together. And 0V of the power supply, 0V to the speed controller and negative points of the lights are common.

And my another question is...
Is there a requirement about input voltage/current range to the speed controller? (I've noticed fluctuation of the needle of the power supply when light color changes) I was not sure if this was caused by bad input or prevention of operation at power-on.

Thank you.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:20 am

Hi JUN,

The Motor: 5IK90UGVR-UA, Gearhead: 5GVR180A, and Controller: DSC-U made up the DSCI590UA-180A-3V package. From the DSC manual page 13, it states that the DSC-U speed controller will require a 24 VDC power supply with 150 mA or more of current. Below is a link to the DSC manual:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 345-2E.pdf

Do you know what the value of current draw the stack light has and what current your power supply has? The total value of current on the 24 VDC power supply will need to be the 150 mA plus the Amp requirement of the stack light.

Furthermore, changing the "prevention of operation at power on" parameter to oFF will cause the AL46 to no longer generate, however the fluctuation of the 24 VDC power supply to the DSC-U speed controller would only be resolved by ensuring that the 24 VDC power supply amperage is enough for both the light and the DSC-U. If there is enough current, then there could be an issue with the wiring. The last option would be to provide a separate power supply for the DSC-U speed controller.

Return to “Question of the Day”