AZ: Stop and Z-HOME from a single input

om_tech_support_JS

AZ: Stop and Z-HOME from a single input

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Q: I have an application where I have a limited number of buttons that I can use for my application. I am trying to keep the application simple by only having two buttons. One button needs to be my run motion which will cut a piece of wood. This motion will need to go out the full length of the board, pause for a second, and then come back to the home position. I then want to use the other button as a stop and go back to the home position. In case I start the cut wrong, I want to be able to stop the cut and start over. I was recommended the AZD-AD product for this application. Can you help me with this setup?

A: The AZ series features a lot of different functions that can be used to achieve many application needs. For your scenario, the recommendation would be to set up a linked motion for your first button. The second button would then use an Event I/O Trigger in order to operate the motion that you are looking to achieve.

First, you will need to follow the "Guidance" section of the AZ Operating Manual in order to set up the home position that you want the motor to go to. This section can be found on pages 31 to 32 of the manual linked below:

AZ Operating Manual:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60243E.pdf

Now that the home position is set, let’s set the Operation data for the linked motion. In the MEXE02 software, set the Operation type under data #0 to Absolute positioning with a position step of 0. This means that the motor will rotate back to the 0 position which has already been determined as the home location due to the initial setup from the guidance section. Next, you can set data #1 for the positioning amount that you need. For our example, I have set an incremental position (based on command position) for 1000 steps which would be equivalent to 1 revolution of the motor.

Operation Data Table change for Absolute positioning.png
Operation Data Table change for Absolute positioning.png (142.85 KiB) Viewed 117 times

The Speed, Acceleration, and Deceleration can all be set depending on the motion profile that you are looking to achieve. Next, you will need to scroll over on the operation data table until you get to the “Drive-complete delay time [s].” This column will allow you to set a ‘wait’ time for the motor to stop before going to the next motion. For this example, I have set this time for operation data #1 to 1 second, but you can adjust for your application needs. I have then set the “Link” to Automatic Sequential. This will then automatically move the motor to the “Next data No.” which we have selected in this example to be our original data #0. Having this motion link to data zero will be the motion to make the motor move back home.

Operation Data Table change for moving back home.png
Operation Data Table change for moving back home.png (116.5 KiB) Viewed 117 times

Next, we need to set the I/O so that we can use a single button to operate this motion. Typically, the I/O is triggered via the binary configuration of the M0-M7 inputs and the START input. A reference to the binary configuration of these inputs can be seen on page 167 of the AZ series function manual linked below:

AZ Function Manual:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60262E.pdf

However, since you wish to only use one button push and there are few I/O that are needed, we can use the Direct I/O Selection input. Since the I/O on the AZ series is re-assignable, we will change one of the inputs under the “Direct-IN function” parameter. You can select the input that you wish to change, however I changed the “DIN1” from M0 to D-SEL1. D-SEL1 is factory set to operate data #1, however this can also be changed to operate whichever data number of the 256 numbers (#0 through #255) that are available. Since we have data #1 set to our motion, we will leave it as the factory setting.

Direct-IN function for D-SEL1.png
Direct-IN function for D-SEL1.png (94.82 KiB) Viewed 117 times

Now, when the DIN1 is triggered, the ‘cutting’ motion and automatic return to home will be achieved.

For the other button, we will need to set up the event trigger I/O. Therefore, we will need to select the I/O that we want to use as the ‘trigger.’ In this example, I set the Direct-IN function “DIN2” from M1 to R0.

Direct-IN function for R0.png
Direct-IN function for R0.png (107.81 KiB) Viewed 117 times

Next go to the “Operation I/O event” table so that we can set the trigger for the stop, go home event. Under the event #0, set the “Link” to Automatic Sequential, set the “Next data number” to 0 (our absolute 0 position) and set the “event trigger I/O” to R0_R. The R0_R is the response to the R0 input turning on. Therefore, when the R0 input is turned on, then the trigger to go to operation data number 0 will be started. You will also need to change the Event Trigger Type to ON edge. The ON edge will trigger the next data number (data 0) when the R0 input is turned on. For a description of the different types of triggers, please reference page 62 of the AZ function manual

Operation IO Event setting the trigger.png
Operation IO Event setting the trigger.png (93.75 KiB) Viewed 117 times

In order to have this event take place, we need to add the event to our operation data number which we want to be able to interrupt (data #1). This means, we need to add a “(High)I/O event No.” of 0 so that our event that we just created can interrupt the data #1.
Operation Data Table setting the IO Event No.png
Operation Data Table setting the IO Event No.png (71.53 KiB) Viewed 117 times

Having all of these changes made will allow you to start operating the motion forward, but have the ability to make the system stop and re-home.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”