SCX11: teaching target positions for PTP motion

om_tech_support_JT

SCX11: teaching target positions for PTP motion

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:25 pm

Q: I'm using your SCX11 motion controller with a stepper motor and driver for PTP point-to-point scanning motion. I would like to teach the controller the different target positions to move to instead of programming them in motor steps prior. In my application, I need to use one input to home, one input to move to target position, and one more input to move home after the target position. My load varies in size, so I have to be able to change the target positions without altering the stored program in the SCX11. Is this possible, and how can I achieve this? Do you offer a tutorial?

A: To achieve this successfully, we would suggest that you use the dedicated SCX series IMC (Immediate Motion Creator) software.

You can download this software for free from our website:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/support/so ... index.html

After you have successfully established communication between the software and SCX11 controller, the USB/RS232 LED icon on the software will turn green. You would see a window like this:

SCX11 teaching target positions with IMC SW - Motion Creator tab.jpg
SCX11 teaching target positions with IMC SW - Motion Creator tab.jpg (180.25 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

In the Motion Creator tab within the IMC software, you can perform some easy motion in order to check if everything is wired or set up correctly. You simply input your Distance, Starting Velocity, Running Velocity, Acceleration, and Deceleration, then click START MOTION to execute the move. In the COMMAND SYNTAX field, it will show you how to program the exact motion you just executed. In the I/O monitor on the bottom, you can see real-time statuses of I/O. There's also a position counter and an encoder counter in the same window.

Next, we'll have to set up the motor resolution correctly. You can do this by using the SYSTEM CONFIG tab on the IMC software. The following example sets up a 200 steps/revolution stepper motor with no gearhead for degrees as the USER UNIT used by the software to program travel distances and speeds.

SCX11 teaching target positions with IMC SW - System Config tab.jpg
SCX11 teaching target positions with IMC SW - System Config tab.jpg (225.19 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Now let's move on to programming. In the 2nd PROGRAM EDITOR tab, you can write your program, test it, and save the program into the SCX11 controller so it's stored there. The list on the left is a reference guide of the common programming commands. You can either compile your program by double-clicking on any of the commands in the reference, or you can type your entire program in the middle SEQUENCE EDITOR column. After you're done, you can either save it as a text file on a computer, then export the same program/parameters file to other SCX11 controllers, or you can simply save the program into the SCX11 controller by clicking on the EDITOR=>SCX11 button on the right.

SCX11 teaching target positions with IMC SW - Program Editor tab.jpg
SCX11 teaching target positions with IMC SW - Program Editor tab.jpg (201.39 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Now let's move on to teaching the actual target positions. Click on the TEACH/JOG tab within the IMC software. You will see this:

SCX11 teaching target positions with IMC SW - Teach, Jog tab.jpg
SCX11 teaching target positions with IMC SW - Teach, Jog tab.jpg (197.1 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

To begin teaching, you will have to click the checkbox next to TEACHING START. In TEACHING BY MOTOR mode, you would use the arrow keys on the right side to move your motor to your target position. In TEACHING BY HAND mode, the motor excitation at standstill is turned off, so you can move the motor by hand manually to your target position. Once the motor is at the desired target position, click the right arrow key between the POSITION value and POS [1]. Now your position value is saved into bank 1 above. You can store up to 100 positions - POS [100].

In your program, instead of using a command like

DIS 1000
MA

to move 1000 steps in absolute steps, you can now write the same program like:

MA POS [1]

-assuming you have saved 1000 steps into POS[1] already
-omitting speed parameters such as VS starting velocity, VR running velocity, TA time to accel, TD time to decel....etc. These are required. If not set, default values will be used.
-only MA move absolute command can be used with taught positions POS [x].

With MA POS [1] in your program, you can leave the program as is, and just change the POS [1] value by just teaching over it again and again.

An alternative to using the SCX IMC software would be to use ASCii via serial RS232. Then you can send commands in what we call the "immediate execution mode" where every command typed would be executed by the SCX11 immediately. The controller starts up in this mode. This is a different mode than program mode where programs are only executed if you command the SCX11 to run the program*. Please ask our technical support engineering team if you would like more information regarding this method.

*Program is also called sequence in our literature.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”