Push motion operation with geared motors?

om_tech_support_JT

Push motion operation with geared motors?

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:38 pm

Q: In your AR stepper series literature, you state the following:

Do not perform push-motion operation with geared type motors. Doing so may cause damage to the motor or gearhead.

How will I damage the motor or gearhead if I'm limiting the torque? I also use your AR series drivers for my EAS series products but it doesn't state this.

A: When a geared motor is pushing the load continuously in push motion operation, the torque generated from the shock on the load will become a large load torque because of the rotor inertia of motor. This load torque will all be taken by gearhead and may exceed its permissible torque (depending on the setting). Inside the gearhead, for each time that the push motion / torque limit operation is performed, there will be only several gear teeth engaged with each other. The sudden large load torque from the shock of the push motion may decrease the life of these gear teeth due to excessive wear and tear over time. The higher the speed is, the larger the load torque will become.

We do not recommend using push motion operation with geared products. However, if you must do it and you're concerned about maximizing life, we would suggest minimizing the shock load by using a low speed setting with push motion operation, and avoid using push motion for a long duration.

Regarding the EAS series products, there is no gear structure inside. All the load torque will be taken by the ball screw, which has much higher rigidity and is able to tolerate more load torque than the gearhead. We also do not recommend using push motion with DG/DG2 series rotary stages (which are also packaged with AR series drivers).

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”