Mixing & Matching motors and drivers from different series

om_tech_support_JT

Mixing & Matching motors and drivers from different series

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Q: I've been using your RK and CRK series stepper motor+driver package models for a while. They work great out of the box. However, for this particular application I'm working on, I need a pretty specific motor and driver combination which you do not offer. I was wondering what might happen if I decide to mix and match your motors and drivers so I can make my own motor+driver package by purchasing component models instead of the package model? What advice would you give?

A: Mixing and matching stepper motors and drivers from different product series is fine (for most of our products) as long as you set the proper current level for the motor. This setting is on the driver. Typically, there's a potentiometer on the driver labelled RUN which sets the motor current. If your driver supplies too much current (A/ph) to the motor, then the motor will generate more torque but overheat quicker. If you do not supply enough current, then the motor will not output its rated torque but work cooler.

A tip that we can share with you is how to determine the max current output (A/ph) from the driver model number. You can also find this information in the manual, but this is a quicker method. An example of an RK series driver model number is RKD514L-A. The "14" designates 1.4 A/ph max output. The "L" in the model number designates compatibility with 60mm frame size motors. For bigger frame size motors, please use "RKD514H-A". The "L" or "H" designation is only used for RK series. An example of a CRK series driver model number is CRD507-KP. The "07" designates 0.75 A/ph max output. The RUN potentiometer allow the operator to lower the current level to match the motor. At the factory before shipping, our drivers are typically set to full current setting.

Here's an example of the portion of the catalog that shows the motor and driver component model numbers from the RK series.
Mixing and matching stepper motors and drivers - RK series component model numbers.jpg
Mixing and matching stepper motors and drivers - RK series component model numbers.jpg (97.89 KiB) Viewed 4745 times

A benefit of purchasing package models is that its specifications are guaranteed. If you decide to purchase components such as motors and drivers separately to make up your own package, or use a 3rd party, non-VEXTA brand driver with our motor, the specifications could change and are not guaranteed. The reason is because the specifications (such as speed-torque characteristics) are based on real tests with our motor and our driver. Using a different driver could change the motor's performance specifications such as torque or vibrations depending on the quality.

Mixing and matching motors and drivers from the following series is OK as long as current is set properly: RK, CRK, CFK, CSK, UMK....etc. One thing to pay attention to is that small size motors (typically from DC input product series such as from CRK series) may have problems withstanding the higher bus voltage output from our AC drivers. Therefore, please do not match the small size DC input motors (under 42mm frame size) with AC input drivers. Some package components normally included in package models may not be included in a component purchase (ie: cables). There may also be some potential warranty issues. Using package models definitely has its advantages than mixing and matching components.

WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHECK WITH US BEFORE MIXING AND MATCHING MOTORS AND DRIVERS TO AVOID POTENTIAL ISSUES.

Of course, there are some exceptions. The motor winding ratings of RKII (RK2) is completely different from the previous RK series, so please do not mix and match with RKII (RK2) series. For example, you cannot mix and match an old CRK motor with a new RKII (RK2) driver because the motor cannot handle the higher voltage supplied by the RKII (RK2) driver intended for RKII (RK2) motors. Using a RKII (RK2) motor with a CRK driver may be OK since the CRK driver supplies less bus voltage than the RK2 motor is rated for. However, high speed performance would suffer since the motor is receiving a lower bus voltage from the driver. Using an RK2 series motor with an RK series driver may be OK, but not recommended since the performance would be lowered by less bus voltage. Mixing and matching is also not recommended for αSTEP (Alphastep) series. Since the Alphastep series motors and drivers utilize a position feedback loop within themselves to increase performance, a motor and driver from the same series is required. If you can work with 24VDC input power, we suggest that you start looking at mixing and matching PKP series stepper motors with CVD series bipolar microstepping drivers. These are the easiest to start with.

PKP series 1.8/0.9/0.72/0.36 deg stepper motors:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/s ... -only.html

CVD series compact bipolar microstepping drivers:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/s ... ivers.html

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”