Are your stepper motors rated for peak or RMS current?*

om_tech_support_JT

Are your stepper motors rated for peak or RMS current?*

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:08 pm

Q: Is the Amperage specification for your stepper motors given in a Peak to Peak value, or an RMS value? I'm trying to use a 3rd party driver with your motor. I just want to make sure before I turn it on because I don't want to overheat the motor and shorten its life.

A: Our stepper motors are classified as constant current type stepper motors. This means that the ideal driver type to use with our motors is a constant current chopper driver which uses a PWM circuit (pulse width modulation) to chop the voltage at a specific frequency to provide constant RMS current value to the motor regardless of input voltage. We do not recommend using our motors with constant voltage drivers. If you look at the graphical representation below, the current value can be seen as the A RMS (Root Mean Square) value shown by the dashed line. A PK means peak current value. RMS current should be 0.707 of the peak value (1 divided by square root of 2).

PWM drive circuit chopping voltage to provide constant RMS current.jpg
PWM drive circuit chopping voltage to provide constant RMS current.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 6141 times

Constant current stepper motors use RMS current.jpg
Constant current stepper motors use RMS current.jpg (29.96 KiB) Viewed 6141 times

If you are not confident in properly integrating our motors with other drivers, we would suggest looking into our motor and driver package models. In a package/system model, a motor would be included with a dedicated compatible driver for plug and play setup. No current setting is required.

For examples of package/system models, please click link below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/s ... stems.html

For more information about our driver technology, please click link below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/technology ... ology.html
-also see TECHNOLOGY section of our website.

JS

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”