AZ: Automatic Homing using one input when torque level is met

om_tech_support_SZ

AZ: Automatic Homing using one input when torque level is met

Postby om_tech_support_SZ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Q: I am using the AZ series with the mechanical absolute sensors to operate one part of a press fit machine that we are building right now. For my application, I would like the motor to push part A into part B and once part A is in place, I would like the motor to press 2 seconds and return home automatically. Is there any way for me to do so using just one input?

A: The AZ series has an extensive range of functions that would be able to meet different application needs where precise movements with real-time monitoring is needed. For your application, the ideal setup would be to have 2 operation data points with an Event I/O trigger to initiate the second operation data point when the torque level has been met.

In order for your home position to be set up, please be sure to follow the “Guidance” section of the AZ operating manual that is on page 31 and 32 in the AZ Operating Manual:

AZ Operating Manual: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60243E.pdf

After setting up the home position, let’s look into setting up the first operation data that lets the motor run continuously until the torque level is met. The operation data type that is ideal for this application would be “Continuous (Push Motion)”. The descriptions of the different operation data types are discussed on pages 30 to 47 in the AZ Function manual.

AZ Functions manual: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60262E.pdf

The position is set to 0 steps since the motion is set up to continuous (push motion) and the motor will rotate at the set speed until a parameter is met. In the sample setup below, the operating current is set to 50%, which means the TLC output will be turned on once the load pressed against the motor reaches 50% of the rated torque for the motor. More information about the TLC output can be found on page 177 in the AZ Functions Manual. The operating current % can be adjusted according to the application and the percentage can be in the range between 0 to 100%. The changes done to operation data # 0 are shown below, all other setups are left as default:

pasted image 0.png
pasted image 0.png (10.89 KiB) Viewed 116 times

In Continuous (Push motion) operation type, the motor will continue pressing against the load at the set operating current %. We will be adding an “Operation I/O event” to command the motor to go home once the torque level has been met. Before adding the operation I/O event, we will set up an operation data for the motor to move back to 0 with Absolute Positioning as the Operation Type, which means the motor will travel to the home position (at 0 steps) regardless of where the motor position is. Both operation data #0 and #1 are shown below:

pasted image 0 (1).png
pasted image 0 (1).png (14.9 KiB) Viewed 116 times

Operation I/O Event can be found under Data on the left hand side of the MEXE02 interface as highlighted below.

pasted image 0 (2).png
pasted image 0 (2).png (13.62 KiB) Viewed 116 times

For the operation I/O Event, what we would like to achieve is the motor going back to the home we set up in operation data #1 when the TLC output is turned on for 2 seconds. Under the Link column, we will set it up to be “Automatic Sequential”, which will link automatically to the Next data, which is changed to “1” so operation data #1 will be triggered by the event. Since we will be looking for the TLC output, the Event Trigger I/O is set to TLC. The part will be pressed for 2 seconds once it’s in place, which means the trigger to Operation data # 1 will be the TLC output being turned on for a total of 2 seconds. For The Event Trigger type, we will select ON (msec), all different Event Trigger types are shown on page 62 in the AZ Functions Manual. For Event trigger count, it will be 2000, which will be 2000 msec (2 seconds). The Operation I/O Event setup is shown below:

pasted image 0 (3).png
pasted image 0 (3).png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 116 times

Going back under the “Operation Data” tab, the I/O event trigger will need to be added for operation data #0 as the following:

pasted image 0 (4).png
pasted image 0 (4).png (3.78 KiB) Viewed 116 times

With the setup described above, power will need to be cycled. After cycling the power, the motor will be able to operate on the “START” input and move continuously until the 50% of holding torque is met then the motor will automatically move to home position after pressing continuously for 2 seconds.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”