AZ Series: Checking the Current Position of an AZ Driver via ASG and BSG outputs

om_tech_support_JS

AZ Series: Checking the Current Position of an AZ Driver via ASG and BSG outputs

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Q: I am using your AZD-A driver with the SCX11 controller. I want to be able to read the current position of the AZ series motor as the system may be turned off at the end of the night and turned on to start the next day. I was told that the AZD-AD driver has a Modbus register that can be read, however the MEXE02 software shows the current position of the AZ motor. Is there any option for me to use the AZD-A driver and still get the current position to the SCX11 controller?

A: For the AZ series products, there are a few ways to read the current position. The way that this can be achieved may differ depending on the driver that you have. A previous article on: AZ: How to track absolute position from PLC explains the various ways.

The AZ series drivers (Both the AZD-A and the AZD-AD) have the ASG and BSG outputs which will provide a pulse output to your external controller (SCX11 or PLC). These outputs can then be used in order to obtain the current position of the AZ series motor via the “Pulse Request Function.” The information on this function can be found on page 495-496 of the AZ Series Function Manual.

In order to do this function, you will need to wire the ASG+, ASG-, BSG+ and BSG- to your external controller. If you are using the SCX11, then you will need to tell the controller that you are using an encoder source. In order to do this, go to the “System Config” tab in the Immediate Motion Creator (IMC Software) and change the “Encoder Source” to Driver

IMC System Config Encoder Source.png
IMC System Config Encoder Source.png (315.13 KiB) Viewed 284 times

If you do not already have the IMC Software downloaded to your computer, then you can download it via the link below and use a Mini-B to USB cable to connect the controller to your computer:
http://orientalmotor.com/downloads/software.html

For the AZ series driver, you will also need to make a few changes which can be done via the MEXE02 Software and a Mini-B to USB cable. If you do not have the MEXE02 Software, then you can download it from the link above.

Once you have opened the MEXE02 software, then you will need to go into the “I/O action and function” and change the “PLS-OUT output data selection” (number 24) to FBPOS. This will allow you to read the Feedback Position (shown as setting 2 from page 495 of the AZ Function Manual) from the ASG and BSG outputs.

PLS-OUT Data Selection.png
PLS-OUT Data Selection.png (359.9 KiB) Viewed 284 times

Next, you will need to setup the PLSM-REQ and MON-CLK inputs on the AZ driver I/O. To do this, go to the “Direct-IN function” parameter and change your desired DIN#. For the AZD-A driver, DIN0-DIN3 will be dedicated to the Pulse and Direction signals. Therefore, for this example, I have set DIN8 and DIN9 to PLSM-REQ and MON-CLK respectively.

Direct-IN function for PLSM-REQ.png
Direct-IN function for PLSM-REQ.png (236.43 KiB) Viewed 284 times

Once these values have been changed, then write to the driver. You can do this by clicking the picture of a white arrow pointing to the right:

Writing to the Driver.png
Writing to the Driver.png (71.74 KiB) Viewed 284 times

You will be prompted to select the Data Range. Typically selecting “All” and then clicking “OK” is the one we recommend. Click “Yes”. Then if it says: “Writing is completed. Do you want to execute the configuration” click “Yes.” Then Click “Yes” that you want to proceed. Some parameter changes may require the driver’s power to be cycled. When this is the case, the pop-up will tell you to “Restore the Driver.”

Now that everything is set up, you can utilize the Pulse request function. The correct procedure is to have the motor stopped (the situation where it is at the start of the day). Then, clear the encoder count on your controller so that the EC reads 0. Next turn on the PLSM-REQ input which will latch the ASG and BSG outputs. Once this is done, you can then turn on the MON-CLK input in order to send the pulses through the ASG and BSG outputs in order to obtain the feedback position. Once again, this is following the procedure and timing chart found on page 496 of the AZ Function Manual.

NOTES:
1.) It is important to clear the encoder count so that the feedback position is not affected by any previous value stored in the encoder count.
2.) You need to keep the MON-CLK input held ON until the value is completely read. Turning the MON-CLK input off before the transmission is complete will stop the flow of pulses which could lead to an incorrect value.

**IF USING TWO INPUTS FOR THIS OPERATION IS TOO MANY, THEN THERE IS ANOTHER OPTION.

You can utilize the Virtual Inputs in order to be able to only use 1 input for the same operation. For an in depth example of using the Virtual Inputs, please reference the AZ Virtual Input/Outputs Functions post.

For this application, you can change the input of your choosing (in our example DIN8) to PLSM-REQ. Next, you will need to go to the “EXT-IN &VIR-IN & USR-OUT function (Extend)” and change the “Virtual input (VIR-IN#) function selection” and the “Virtual input (VIR-IN#) source selection.” In this example, I have changed VIR-IN0 to have a function of MON-CLK and the source of PLSM-REQ_R. This means that when I turn on the input for PLSM-REQ, the response (PLSM-REQ_R) will also turn on. I am then taking the PLSM-REQ_R and using that to turn on the virtual input for MON-CLK. What this will do is then turn the MON-CLK on and allow you to read the feedback position by only turning on the PLSM-REQ input. Once again, review the two notes above about using this function.

Virtual Input for MON-CLK.png
Virtual Input for MON-CLK.png (412.22 KiB) Viewed 284 times

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”