Creating an Infinite Loop with the AZ series while an input remains on

om_tech_support_JS

Creating an Infinite Loop with the AZ series while an input remains on

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Q: I have a simple application that involves moving the motor to 3 separate locations and then moving home. I want to be able to have this application run continuously for as long as I leave an input on. Is there something I can do which will allow me to achieve this in my application?

A: Typically, a programmable controller would be required to create a "while" statement. Inside the "while" statement, you would create your Loop sequence for the 3 locations. This would require the external controller as well as a pulse input type driver. However, with the AZ series, we now offer a built-in controller type driver which allows you to set up Loops inside of the data points which are stored in the driver. You can either set up a specific number of loops for the operation to do, or you can use an event trigger which will allow you to stop the operation when the trigger is turned off. The second option will allow you to loop for as long as the trigger is turned on.

In order to set up the event trigger, you will start off by filling out the Operation Data table. In order to fill out the Operation Data table, you will need to connect the AZ driver to our MEXE02 software. The MEXE02 software is a free download from our website and the driver will use a USB to Mini B connection cable (not supplied with the driver). Once the software is pulled up, you can select you operation type, position [step], speed [Hz], acceleration, and deceleration. In the column labelled “Link” you would select Automatic Sequential. Automatic sequential allows for the next data operation to be run after accounting for the “Drive-complete delay time [s]” column. Under the “Next data No.” column, leave the value as +1. +1 means that it will operate the next data line. Since you have 4 total operation data numbers, you would set the automatic sequential link for the first 4 operation data numbers (#0 - #3). For the operation data #3, you would then have the “Next data No.” section set to 0. The changes were made in the example screen-shot shown below:

Operation Data Setting the Automatic Sequential Link.png
Operation Data Setting the Automatic Sequential Link.png (168.59 KiB) Viewed 516 times

The MEXE02 software also allows you to change the inputs on the driver. The next change is in the Direct-IN Function parameter. Change the “Input function selection” column of your desired input to be D-SEL0. The D-SEL0 will work as the data selection as well as the start input. This will allow you to only use one input instead of using the M0-M7 inputs to select the data and then run that selected data via the Start input. D-SEL0 has a default setting of running operation data number 0. In the example below, the DIN0 input was changed from the Start input to the D-SEL0 input.

Direct-In Function Setting.png
Direct-In Function Setting.png (147.03 KiB) Viewed 516 times

Next, some changes need to be made in the Operation I/O event section. These changes will be so that the D-SEL0 input will work as the stop when the input is removed. In order to do this, set the Link to Automatic Sequential, Next data to Stop, Event trigger I/O to D-SEL0_R, Event trigger type to OFF edge and the Event trigger count to 1. The D-SEL0_R is the response to the D-SEL0 input. Therefore, when the response is seen on the Off edge of the input (i.e turning the input of), the operation will be stopped. The event trigger count refers to how many times the trigger needs to be seen before the event happens. In this example, when the input is turned off, the operation should stop, so the event trigger count is set to 1. If, for example, you wanted to have to turn off the switch two times before the event stops, then you would set the trigger count to 2.

Operation IO Event Setting.png
Operation IO Event Setting.png (186.81 KiB) Viewed 516 times

Once the Operation I/O Event has been created, then you can go back to your operation data table and set the low I/O event on the Operation data numbers to 0.

Operation Data Setting the Low IO Event Number.png
Operation Data Setting the Low IO Event Number.png (158.23 KiB) Viewed 516 times

Finally, you can write the data to the driver and start using your D-SEL0 input as your start and stop based on if the input is on or off.

**A brief note on this operation: When the motion is stopped from the I/O trigger, turning on the trigger again will operate the data #0. Therefore, doing a homing routine after the data is stopped would be advised as you would then ensure that you are starting from the correct starting point.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”