AZ Virtual Input/Outputs Functions

om_tech_support_LR

AZ Virtual Input/Outputs Functions

Postby om_tech_support_LR » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am

Q: Looking to use 2 AZ series motors in my indexing application. Both motors will need to index the fabric material and then one will need to pick up (wind) the fabric material so that there is no slack. Once the slack has been taken up, I need the motor to stop and hold until a new command is given for indexing both motors. This will repeat until all the fabric material has been used. My issue is I am limited in I/O from my PLC since it’s so basic. Does the AZ have a function to do the wind automatically or internally?

A: The AZ series has virtual inputs and outputs. The virtual input (VIR-IN) is a method in which a signal that is set in the virtual input is triggered by using output of a signal set in the virtual input source. Since the virtual input is an input method which uses the internal I/O, it does not require wiring. Up to four virtual inputs and two virtual outputs can be set. For this application you can set one virtual input to trigger based on the torque setting being reached.

For [the wind up] motion, you will need to set your operation data to be continuous push mode. Often times fabric material has a certain tension that it can withstand before the fabric breaks. Therefore, we need to make sure that we set the tension value to where the slack is taken up, but the material is not damaged. The AZ series allows you to adjust the amount of torque output from the motor via the Torque Limiting Feature. This feature allows you to set the torque to a certain percentage. For example, we will set this value to 20% of current (But you can set the percentage to a value that does not exceed your tension). The TLC Output will turn on when the torque limit control (or percentage that we set) is reached. By using virtual inputs, we can use the TLC output to turn on the STOP input, which will stop the motor’s rotation.

You can set the virtual input in the “EXT IN & VIR IN & USR OUT” tab of the MEXE02 software as shown below.
EXT IN & VIR IN & USR OUT.png
EXT IN & VIR IN & USR OUT.png (287.47 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Virtual Input Description.png
Virtual Input Description.png (101.57 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Reference page 128
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60262E.pdf

You can set the virtual inputs or outputs as desired by selecting the input or output needed and making a selection from the drop down menu. In this example we set VR-IN0 to STOP when TLC (torque limit has been reached). You can leave the other Virtual inputs as default values or you can change them to “No Function”. Below is an example of setting VR-IN0 and VR-IN1.
Virtual Function Selection.png
Virtual Function Selection.png (240.18 KiB) Viewed 130 times

For this scenario, the Virtual input (VIR-IN0) function selection will need to be changed to STOP and the Virtual input (VIR-IN01) source selection will need to be changed to TLC.

For the wind to take place the AZ motor 1 has been programmed with data 0 for the tensioning and data 1 for incremental indexing (feeding of material). Once the tension has been completed on AZ motor 1, the TLC output will turn on. The TLC output can then be monitored by a PLC. Once that output is turned ON, the motor will stop and hold on its own with holding torque from the VIR-IN that we set up. The PLC can then trigger both motors to operate data 1 (for the index motion). As shown below

AZ motor 1 = tensioner and indexing motion
AZ Motor 1.png
AZ Motor 1.png (7.83 KiB) Viewed 130 times

AZ motor 2 = indexing motion only
AZ Motor 2.png
AZ Motor 2.png (6.64 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”