Alternatives to HyperTerminal

om_tech_support_JT

Alternatives to HyperTerminal

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Q: Can I use my own software (or terminal), such as LabVIEW, to operate your controllers instead of using Window's HyperTerminal?
-controllers in this case refers to our PC programmable pulse generators for our step motor systems.

BACKGROUND: With our controllers, we have something called an "immediate mode". Not a whole lot of information can be found in the manuals regarding this, but once HyperTerminal is started up, and if it's properly communicating with our controller, you are in the "immediate mode". In this mode, you can enter monitor commands, parameters, and motion commands, and the controller will immediately execute them. This is very useful during initial testing, but it can also be utilized in normal operation if needed.

A: Yes. You will have to have your terminal software output ASCII text strings into our controller's communication port. Leaving the controller in "Immediate mode" is recommended, but "program mode" could also work with a few more lines of commands. In your ASCII text strings, make sure to use the exact same keystrokes as you would type in HyperTerminal. A common issue with this integration method is the lack of carriage returns after every line of command. Unfortunately, we do not offer support on 3rd party software.

We do offer FREE GUI software downloads for our CRK series high resolution motor systems, our ASX series all-in-one motors, and our SCX10 universal controllers. To see a line-up, please click here:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/support/so ... index.html

om_tech_support_JT

Re: Alternatives to HyperTerminal

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Q: What do I need to do in order to integrate my touchscreen with your controllers so I can control the motion of my motor with my touchscreen?

A: Basically, your touchscreen will need to have software that converts the touchscreen commands into our ASCII code program commands as shown in our operating manuals along with a carriage return to execute commands. Your touchscreen and software will replace our standard dedicated controller software (which includes a communication terminal window), and you'll need to send the ASCII commands from your touchscreen/software into our communication port. In some cases, you may have to use a converter depending on your available communication ports. It's easier if you do this in the controller's immediate mode where it will immediately execute your commands as they're received at our controller (at carriage returns). You would just update the parameters, or overwrite specific commands as you go. In sequence mode, it's more difficult since you'll have to send more lines of commands to get our controller into the sequence mode to actually write/edit a sequence or program, then alter one line at a time. For more information, please contact our knowledgeable tech support group.

Return to “Stepping Motors & Controls”