Reducing noise of inverter-controlled AC motors

om_tech_support_JT

Reducing noise of inverter-controlled AC motors

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Q: I just purchased one of your new Fuji Electric Mini C2 series inverters and I hooked it up to my three-phase motor. I noticed that when I operate the motor, it makes a lot of noise. Is there anything I can do to avoid/reduce this noise?

A: There are a few parameter changes that you can make on the inverter that can assist in lowering the noise generated. The first of which is changing the Carrier frequency to a larger kHz value. In a PWM based VFD, the rate at which output transistors are turned on is usually between 2 to 15 kHz. A higher KHz value will yield a better current waveform, but will result in more VFD losses. When looking at noise generation, a better current waveform typically means less noise.

For the Mini C2 series inverters that we offer, you can set the Carrier frequency to be between 0.75 and 16 kHz. The initial setting for the Carrier frequency is 2 kHz. You can reference the "Motor Sound" Parameter F26 for Carrier frequency on page 9-4 (electronically page 206) of the inverter user manual linked below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... -0023d.pdf

Another parameter that you can change which changes the sound of the motor will be the Tone parameter. You can change the tone between 4 different levels. Factory setting is Level 0. Please reference page 9-4 (electronically page 206) of the manual linked above for the Tone parameter F27.

Fuji Mini C2 inverter - lowering noise with F26, F27 function codes.jpg
Fuji Mini C2 inverter - lowering noise with F26, F27 function codes.jpg (260.66 KiB) Viewed 2219 times

JS

Return to “AC Motors”