V Series: High Torque in a Small Size

om_tech_support_JT

V Series: High Torque in a Small Size

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Q: I'm searching for small 3-phase AC gearmotors to work with my existing variable frequency drives. My requirements are atleast 300 lb-in of torque and a speed range of 5~18 RPM. However, I'm finding it very difficult to locate a motor that satisfies these requirement as well as fits a 4" frame size. My application for the motor is to drive an auger to feed some material into a process. I am just now finding out that you manufacture a number of highly efficient brushless motor systems which would have been ideal for us for its energy savings, compact size, and wide speed range, but we have already standardized on a specific VFD and a specific PLC in our design. Judging by the vast selection of products that you offer, I'm hoping that you can provide my solution.

A: I agree with you that our brushless motor speed control systems would have been ideal for you for its flat torque characteristics, cooler operation, energy savings, compact size, and wide speed range, but if you cannot make the switch, we do manufacture an AC motor that would work for your torque, speed, and frame size requirements. The following motor will offer 350 lb-in of torque and a speed range of 3~18 RPM (assuming your VFD has a similar speed control range as our VFDs), and its frame size is merely 90mm / 3.54". This motor is from our V series of AC gearmotors which are known to offer the highest torque for its class.

STANDARD TYPE 3-PHASE 90W INDUCTION GEARMOTOR:
[ VHI590S2-100 ]
SPECIFICATIONS: http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... i590s2-100

If you need a more dust-proof motor, we can offer a TERMINAL BOX TYPE:
[ VHI590S2T-100 ]
SPECIFICATIONS: http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... 590s2t-100

The high torque output from the V series gearmotors comes from several advancements in gear design. We have improved the structural rigidity of the gear case by using thicker side plates which also provide better support for the bearing housings (see FIGURE 1 and FIGURE 2). We chose bigger gears, bigger shafts, and bigger bearings for the V series gearbox to increase torque capacity up to 3x more of a conventional gearbox as well as to maintain a 10,000 hour long-life rating. Unlike some other manufacturers who may use plastic gears or sleeve bearings, only metal gears and ball bearings are utilized for our gearboxes to ensure reliability (see FIGURE 3). We also have optimized the design, machining, and assembly process for our motor's helical pinion shafts and 1st stage gears to reduce noise up to one half when compared to a conventional gearmotor (see FIGURE 4 and FIGURE 5).

FIGURE 1 V series rigid gear case.jpg
FIGURE 1 V series rigid gear case.jpg (100.23 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

FIGURE 2 V series rigid gear support.jpg
FIGURE 2 V series rigid gear support.jpg (47.1 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

FIGURE 3 V series metal gears, ball bearings.jpg
FIGURE 3 V series metal gears, ball bearings.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

FIGURE 4 V series optimized gear, shaft design.jpg
FIGURE 4 V series optimized gear, shaft design.jpg (121.1 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

FIGURE 5 V series noise comparison.jpg
FIGURE 5 V series noise comparison.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

For more information about the V-Series such as its design, output power, types, and available gear ratios, please click on the following link:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/a ... eries.html

Return to “AC Motors”