How to calculate time required for acceleration

om_tech_support_JT

How to calculate time required for acceleration

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Q: For my application, I will need to use a slightly undersized AC induction gearmotor since the proper motor doesn't fit into my enclosure. I'm OK with the motor stalling slightly and taking some time to accelerate up to speed. However, I'm interested in finding out how much time the motor will require to accelerate up to a specific speed. Can you show me how to determine this?

A: Sure we can. Please see below for an example of the calculation below for a 40W 115v AC induction gearmotor with a 9:1 gear ratio and a 22" diameter disc that weighs 10 lbs. It will show you how to calculate for the time it requires to accelerate up to 200 RPM (motor synchronous speed 1800 RPM / 9:1 gear ratio). The units are metric so you may have to convert some values.

PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGE FOR FULL IMAGE
Calculation example of AC gearmotor acceleration with given load inertia.jpg
Calculation example of AC gearmotor acceleration with given load inertia.jpg (121.58 KiB) Viewed 2829 times

*This is under assumption of no friction load. The TA in the equation = Starting torque - Friction torque.

Since you mentioned that you have space constraints and some concerns about acceleration, perhaps our brushless gearmotors would be better for your application. When compared to AC motors, the brushless motors are more compact. The controllers that we include with our brushless motors offer acceleration and deceleration time adjustments. Other benefits of brushless motors are high efficiency, ability to maintain good speed regulation regardless of load changes, cooler operation, constant torque regardless of speed, and lower electrical noise when compared to inverter-controlled AC motors.

If you're interested, please visit the OVERVIEW section for our brushless motor systems:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/b ... index.html

SUPPORT INFORMATION:
PHONE: 800-468-3982
E-MAIL: techsupport@orientalmotor.com
WEB/CHAT: http://www.orientalmotor.com

Return to “AC Motors”