BX: How to Wire Outputs

om_tech_support_JT

BX: How to Wire Outputs

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:46 am

Q: I purchased a BX series brushless motor and driver package, BX230A-A. I'm reading the manual to see how to wire my ALM alarm output to my PLC as well as the ASG, BSG outputs to my DRO (digital readout) to track its speed. I'm using 24v and TTL inputs. I'm not finding an exact wiring diagram regarding the wiring of these outputs, so I just wanted to confirm how to wire these before I actually turn the driver on. Can you explain, in simple terms, how to wire these outputs to my PLC and DRO?

A: First thing that you'll need to understand about these outputs is that these are open-collector outputs. This means that our output will not output a voltage when it triggers. External voltage is needed for these outputs to properly work with other devices such as your PLC or DRO. In simple terms, all our output does, when it triggers, is basically open or close a switch, and let the external voltage complete its circuit to ground. If you look at the internal output circuit diagram in our BX operating manual, you'll see that instead of a switch, we actually use a photocoupler and a transistor for each output. The potential from the external voltage is always there, our output circuit simply allows a path to ground once the output triggers (and vice versa).

Please use the following wiring diagram as reference for the ALM output as well as ASG, BSG outputs working with 24vDC from the PLC and DRO's sourcing inputs:

BX driver open collector output wiring with sourcing inputs.jpg
BX driver open collector output wiring with sourcing inputs.jpg (70.74 KiB) Viewed 3277 times

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1. A sourcing input is required on your PLC or DRO.
2. Please use proper external resistance depending on what voltage you use for the I/O. For example, for the ASG and BSG outputs, an external resistor of atleast 1.2 KOhm is required for 24vDC signals (denoted by R1 in the wiring diagram) to limit the current to 20mA (max current value). The resistor value is determined by V=IR (Ohm's Law), and we assumed no additional resistance from the PLC or DRO side. For example, the ASG, BSG outputs need 24v = 0.020A * R; R = 1200 ohms. Check below for voltage/current values for our BX driver outputs.
3. 4.5~26.4vDC max for outputs. If you use a different voltage than 24vDC, please size the proper resistor for the max current for each output listed below.
-ALM, BUSY output (during alarm output: alarm pulse output): 40mA max.
-ASG, BSG speed output: 20mA max.

om_tech_support_JT

Re: BX: How to Wire Outputs

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:16 pm

If the input from your PLC or your DRO or DAQ module cannot source the voltage to our output, then you would have to follow this wiring diagram. This also works for converters.

BX ALM open-collector output wiring with PLC input, 24vDC.jpg
BX ALM open-collector output wiring with PLC input, 24vDC.jpg (40.09 KiB) Viewed 3267 times

Return to “Speed Control Systems”