Easy Modbus Command to test BLV series

om_tech_support_JT

Easy Modbus Command to test BLV series

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Q: What is an easy-to-use Modbus command that I can use to send to my BLV driver to test my Modbus communication to prove the concept? It would be nice to use the remote I/O to operate the motor so I don't have to wire the physical I/O. I believe I can read the registers (my communication is up), but I'm not quite sure on how to write to them.

A: It will be difficult to show you with your own Modbus device since we don't know what you will be using, but I can show you how we can achieve it with some test software we use. One of the test softwares we use is ComTest Pro from Baseblock Software LLC. This is a freeware that can send Modbus commands to test your BLV driver's Modbus communication. It can be downloaded from the internet.

Please refer to the following page in the BLV series RS-485 communication manual, page 19 (SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE INFO):
BLV Modbus register address list, remote IO.jpg
BLV Modbus register address list, remote IO.jpg (228.84 KiB) Viewed 6849 times

Basically, we'll need to use some software to write to register 007D (hex) and make sure that the proper remote inputs have been turned on with a binary value in decimal or hexadecimal format. As it indicates in the Basic Functions manual, the BLV driver will need both the FWD input (or REV input) and the STOP-MODE input to be on in order to command the motor to rotate clockwise. The FWD input is bit3, and the STOP-MODE input is bit5. Bit3 = 8, and bit5 = 32, so 32+8 = 40. The register's binary sum value should be 40 in decimal or 28 in hexadecimal format. Currently, it's zero, so we'll need to change it to 40.

Here's what the ComTest Pro software window should look like right after you send the proper command:
ComTest Pro Modbus Command to turn on FWD input and STOP-MODE input  in 2 wire input mode.jpg
ComTest Pro Modbus Command to turn on FWD input and STOP-MODE input in 2 wire input mode.jpg (169.57 KiB) Viewed 6849 times

STEP 1 is your communication parameters. Setting this wrong will result in alarms. Make sure you select the right COM port or make sure no other software is using the port.
The REGISTER field in STEP 2 is where you set the register address to read or to write to.
You should write 40 in the 1st box of STEP 3 (circled), then you would click the START button. If you receive a valid response, it will show up in VALID RESPONSE(S).

Here's a screenshot of another software we use which shows the actual data being transmitted/received:
Modbus RTU code example.jpg
Modbus RTU code example.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 6849 times

After you send this command, and if your BLV series driver still has its factory default settings, the motor should begin rotating in the clockwise direction.

om_tech_support_JT

Re: Easy Modbus Command to test BLV series

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 pm

LITERATURE DOWNLOADS:
BLV MOTOR & DRIVER GENERAL OPERATING MANUAL: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... -5112E.pdf
BLV MOTOR & DRIVER BASIC FUNCTIONS MANUAL: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... -5113E.pdf
BLV MOTOR & DRIVER RS-485 MODBUS COMMUNICATION MANUAL: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 114-2E.pdf
BLV/OPX-2A EXTENDED FUNCTIONS OPERATING MANUAL: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... -5049E.pdf
BLV SERIES BROCHURE: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... series.pdf

NOTE: If you're using the BLV series brushless motor system without RS-485 communication or the OPX-2A data setter, then you will likely only need to refer to the BASIC FUNCTIONS manual.

jpchiodini

Postby jpchiodini » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi,

I am currently trying to set up/test out the motor system that we purchased from you guys, but I am having some trouble communicating with the Motor driver. I set up and installed the companion software MEXE02, and am able to connect and rotate the motor. However, when trying to use your example 3rd party software COMTEST PRO following the advice from this link: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=675, I am not able to communicate with the device.

This is what I set on the Hardware:

SW1: dial set to 1 (this should set slave to 1)
SW2: both switches set to “off”
SW3: resistor 4 set to “on”
SW4: dial set to zero (transmission rate 9600)
SW5 switch 2 set to on

Even with this set, I am still seeing the earlier communication error on the COMTEST Pro.

Could this be an issue with the driver? I noticed that by default the parity on the driver is set to none, while on your comtest pro guide, parity seems set to even. I tried to change the settings on the driver but nothing changed. Could this have any effect?

om_tech_support_JT

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 pm

It should be even parity. I've confirmed that your switches on our BLE driver is set correctly. I think the problem is elsewhere. What cable are you using to connect ComTest Pro to our product? You cannot use the same CC05IF-USB cable that you use for the MEXE02 for ComTest Pro/Modbus. You'll have to make your own RS-485 cable and use our driver's CN7 or CN8 RS-485 com ports.

Perhaps some screeshots would help us. What errors does the ComTest Pro generate?

Return to “Speed Control Systems”