Multiple BLH drivers in an enclosure

om_tech_support_JT

Multiple BLH drivers in an enclosure

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Q: I am designing a multiple conveyor system with eight conveyors. Each conveyor will use a BLH230KC-A brushless motor speed control system. I would like to have a control box with all eight speed controllers. I am concerned of the heat produced by speed controllers together. Do I need to have a fan to keep the enclosure cool?

A: A heat analysis would help us know whether a cooling fan is needed or not. In a heat analysis, the power dissipated by all components within the enclosure is added up. Most of the power dissipated by the electronic components would be converted into heat.

Based on the total power dissipated inside the enclosure, the ambient temperature and the size of the enclosure, we can calculate whether a fan is needed or not. Our tech support group can assist you in sizing a fan if you can provide us with the enclosure dimensions and the ambient temperature.

As reference, please use the power dissipation table below for the BLH series. These values consider 100% load and max speed.

BLH driver output power & power dissipation table.jpg
BLH driver output power & power dissipation table.jpg (42.7 KiB) Viewed 2536 times

If you would like to see the formulas we use for the fan calculation, please click the link below and see PAGE G-34:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... lation.pdf

Return to “Speed Control Systems”