Improving Speed Control with Ease, Cost in Mind

om_tech_support_JT

Improving Speed Control with Ease, Cost in Mind

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:16 pm

Q: I'm currently using inverters to drive my 3-phase AC motors for my food conveyors, and I'm looking to upgrade my conveyors with closed-loop feedback, faster speeds, and better speed regulation. I'm looking to close the speed loop back to my PLC for monitoring. I've had experience with servo motors, but they are too expensive and difficult to set up. I only need something that can run up to 4000 RPM. I would also like for the motor to generate some holding torque when stopped. Do you offer anything that provides better performance than an inverter-driven AC motor, but easier to control than a servo system?

A: In addition to our popular AC motor and stepper motor products, Oriental Motor also offers brushless motor systems that may also meet your application requirements. All of our brushless motor systems feature built-in closed-loop feedback with either encoders or hall-effect sensors. With our continuous speed correction, we can offer speed regulation at up to +/-0.05% compared to +/-15% for inverter-driven AC motors. Brushless motors also offer a wider speed range than inverter-driven AC motors. For example, we can offer a wide speed ratio (min/max speed) of 1:50 (80:4000 RPM) from our newly released BMU series. We can even offer a wider speed ratio of 1:1000 (3:3000 RPM) from our BX series. By comparison, inverter-driven AC motor systems can only offer up to 1:12 (200:2400 RPM).

BMU speed regulation comparison with AC motors + inverters.jpg
BMU speed regulation comparison with AC motors + inverters.jpg (53.26 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

BMU speed range comparison with inverter-driven AC motors.jpg
BMU speed range comparison with inverter-driven AC motors.jpg (37.99 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

Every one of our brushless motors is matched up with a dedicated driver, and they are offered in a combination/package model. If you purchase a motor and driver package model, the motors will already include a pig-tail cable and connector to allow easy conection to their drivers for easy plug & play setup. No tuning is required.

I would recommend that you start by looking at our BMU series. The BMU series brushless motor speed control systems were developed with features that our customers find most attractive such as ease-of-use, high efficiency, lower noise, low cost, and various output shaft options. It offers a speed regulation of +/-0.02% and a speed range of 80~4000 RPM at the motor. The adoption of a new grease, and machined surfaces allow for lower noise and better mounting accuracy through our gearheads. This wide speed range plus a wider selection of gear ratios and torque ranges make the BMU series an ideal alternative to replace servo, brushed motors or inverter-driven AC motor applications.

The power and I/O connectors feature a screwless connector, eliminating the need for soldering or crimp tools.

BMU easy wiring, easy set up.jpg
BMU easy wiring, easy set up.jpg (101.04 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

Using the dial and digital speed indicator, controlling the BMU series motor speed is simple and user-friendly.

BMU easy speed control.jpg
BMU easy speed control.jpg (84.65 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

Thanks to a new design, the BMU series also offers improved power conversion efficiency compared to our previous brushless motors. We have adopted a new bread loaf D type segment magnet instead of the older ring magnet. A new slim motor design is made possible by adoptiong high performance magnetic steel sheets. The shorter stator plate allows us to make our motors even more compact than previous models with no heat concerns. We have also improved the driver with better components as well as a better board design to increase the overall system efficiency.

BMU new motor design with shorter stator plate = shorter motor.jpg
BMU new motor design with shorter stator plate = shorter motor.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

BMU size comparison between brushless and AC motors.jpg
BMU size comparison between brushless and AC motors.jpg (50.66 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

The BMU series motors offer a 23% reduction in power consumption when compared to inverter-driven AC motors. This is even more efficienct than our previous BLU series. The IE3 dotted line in the graph shows that the efficiency of our BMU series motors exceeds this standard.

BMU efficiency comparison between brushless and AC motors.jpg
BMU efficiency comparison between brushless and AC motors.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

BMU improved efficiency, exceeds IE3 global standards.jpg
BMU improved efficiency, exceeds IE3 global standards.jpg (100.64 KiB) Viewed 2832 times

In addition, the BMU series offers expanded functions such as 4-speed operation, top/bottom speed limit settings, digital operator lock, load factor/speed, and load-holding without the need for an electromagnetic brake. Since it is so easy to set up and control, it is the ideal system for users who desire both simplicity and performance in the same package.

Please click the link below for more information about the BMU series.

BMU SERIES OVERVIEW:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/b ... otors.html

Return to “Speed Control Systems”