CAN-DO: Over 1,000 Pound Thrust Force and Preset Push Forces

om_tech_support_JT

CAN-DO: Over 1,000 Pound Thrust Force and Preset Push Forces

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 am

Q: I've been looking for highly accurate and compact AC electric linear actuators that can offer a thrust force of about 1,000 lbs. Speed is not critical. I do not want hydraulic actuators or pneumatic cylinders because I do not want to invest a lot of time for maintenance. I'm looking for about a 0.1 mm positioning accuracy and no longer than a 4" stroke. A desired function would be the ability to preset a few different thrust forces. I need to press/stamp a few different parts, but since these are different metal compounds with different properties, I need to limit my thrust for some of the parts. It would be nice to know when the set thrust force is reached so my next process can begin. I am having a difficult time searching for something that would work without a complicated PLC. Please let me know if you can help!

A: Based on your requirements, we think that our PWA II series high power motorized cylinder systems would be ideal.

PWA II high power motorized cylinder product picture.jpg
PWA II high power motorized cylinder product picture.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 3971 times

PWA II high power motorized cylinder compact size and high thrust force.jpg
PWA II high power motorized cylinder compact size and high thrust force.jpg (111.49 KiB) Viewed 3971 times

We use a fine pitched high quality ball screw with a gear drive to achieve a high thrust force of up to 5,000 Newton (about 1,124 lbs). With its built-in Alphastep patented closed-loop technology, it boasts a repetitive positioning accuracy of merely +/-0.02 mm, and it is able to correct its position on the fly to ensure no missed steps. We also offer built-in home/limit sensors to save you the trouble of installing them yourself.

PWA II high power motorized cylinder design & construction, ball screw, gear drive.jpg
PWA II high power motorized cylinder design & construction, ball screw, gear drive.jpg (37.53 KiB) Viewed 3971 times

The PWA II series is designed with ease of use in mind. It can be used with a complex PLC, or a simple switch device with several signals. The number of signals that you'll need to connect to your switch device depends on the number of unique moves you would like to do. With the additional EZT1 teaching pendant or the EZED2 data editing software, you can program up to 63 unique moves with individual speed settings. You can choose to randomly select and execute your programmed moves with more I/O, or sequentially execute these moves with less I/O. We also offer useful outputs that communicate our system status to the other devices within your process; such as the AREA, MOVE, and END outputs. The AREA output lets you know if the actuator is inside a preset area of the stroke. The MOVE output indicates if the actuator is moving or holding. The END output indicates if the move has been completed.

In addition, the PWA II series offers a PUSH-MOTION function which allows you to preset a specific continuous push force for every programmed move. Our cylinder will continuously press your part with the preset push force until you command it to stop or move to another position. Once the preset push force has been reached, the T-UP output will turn on to let you know. The maximum continuous push force is 3,500 Newton (about 786 lbs).

PWA II high power motorized cylinder push motion and pressurized positioning.jpg
PWA II high power motorized cylinder push motion and pressurized positioning.jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 3971 times

I would like to recommend our PWA8J010R-A model for your application. You can standardize on this model, and then just limit your thrust force accordingly. You can also choose to utilize the 2 different PWA models we currently offer. We have a 5,000 Newton thrust/3,500 Newton push motion model (PWA8J010R-A), and we also have a smaller 1,000 Newton thrust/600 Newton push motion model (PWA6H010R-A).

Please click the link below for specifications, product lineup, training videos, accessories, or literature downloads available for our PWA II series:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/r ... eries.html

If you have any additional questions, our friendly and knowledgeable technical support group is available to help. Please call 800-468-3982 or e-mail techsupport@orientalmotor.com. We also offer online chat support on our website.

Return to “Linear & Rotary Actuators and Controls”