Automatic oscillating back and forth motion?

om_tech_support_JT

Automatic oscillating back and forth motion?

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Q: I need to make a test fixture that tests the strength and longevity of a certain type of material by constantly stretching it back and forth. Therefore I need a linear actuator that would start on one end of the stroke and move to the other end, then repeat. I would like to press a button to start the operation and it will run until I stop it. Can your linear motorized slides or cylinders do this and how?

A: There are a few ways to do an automatic oscillating motion with our EZS II series motorized slides.

1. You can set up our standard slide controller in "driver mode" to have it accept pulses as the move command signal. Then you can use a pulse generator/controller like our SCX11 and program it with LOOPs and IF/WHILE statements. You can wire the sensors to SCX11's programmable inputs, then you can program the linear slide to go back and forth between the sensors.

2. You can do a LINKED MOTION2 operation within our motorized slide's standard controller. However, you'll have to turn on an input everytime you want a back and forth cycle. You can also just use the FWD and RVS inputs to move the actuator in the forward or reverse direction, but something like a PLC would have to control the timing of our inputs.

3. Our linear motion systems like the EZS II series are designed with PLC control in mind. The PLC can control the back and forth motion on our motorized slides by using I/O control. You would be using the FWD, RVS or M0, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5 and START inputs to execute motion on our linear slides. Our slide controller has an END output that tells you when a positioning move is finished. If you wire this output to your PLC, then the PLC will know when to start/stop our motor. You can also wire the ASB/BSG outputs from our slide controller to high speed pulse counter inputs on your PLC. This way, the PLC can monitor where the motor is at all times. You can also program the PLC to turn on our M0~M5 BCD inputs and the START input in a loop sequence to do repeated motion. You can also have the PLC turn on the START input repeatedly while all M0~M5 inputs are OFF. This puts the system into sequential operation in which every START signal will execute the next move. Once it executes all of the saved moves, it will repeat from the beginning.

For more information, please refer to our linear motion controller manual or ask our tech support group. You can download the AC version manual here:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 082-4E.pdf

Return to “Linear & Rotary Actuators and Controls”