Single phase power for NX640AS-3,

Discuss Oriental Motor's new NX series servo motor series, or anything related to servo technology.
SFUberto

Single phase power for NX640AS-3,

Postby SFUberto » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:02 am

I would like to use 3 of these motors to drive X,Y, and Z axes on a CNC router, but I only have single phase power. I need a phase converter, not for changing the speed of the motors, as I see some people do, but just to get the 60Hz 3-phase power.

Can anyone advise me on the most cost-effective way to get this power? Do I need a separate phase converter or VFD for each motor? Can you recommend a product, or type of product?

Thank you very much.

Steve

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Single phase power for NX640AS-3,

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi Steve,

In regards to your question, a VFD (otherwise known as an inverter) is used to control the speed of a three-phase motor. Typically a VFD will take a specific input voltage (in your example a single-phase input) and output a three-phase voltage to the motor. The intended use of the VFD is to Vary the frequency (hence the name Variable Frequency Drive) of that three-phase voltage to the motor. In varying the frequency, the speed of the motor can be controlled.

What you would be looking for is to use a step-up transformer to convert your single-phase voltage to a three-phase 200-230 voltage. We do not manufacture or offer any transformers, therefore, you will need to obtain one from a third party. When selecting a transformer, it is important that your selection matches the voltage specification as well as the sum of input current. Based on the catalog specifications for the NX640AS-3 packages shown below, you would require 8.4 Amps (2.8 x 3 = 8.4) from the transformer.

NX640AS-3 catalog.png
NX640AS-3 catalog.png (256.8 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Return to “Servo Motors & Controls”