NX Series Driver Alarm Output

Discuss Oriental Motor's new NX series servo motor series, or anything related to servo technology.
NateD

NX Series Driver Alarm Output

Postby NateD » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:51 am

I am trying to use the alarm output of the NX series drive to light a 24VDC indicator light on the outside of the enclosure. I have 24VDC hooked to pin 9 of CN7 and the light and I have pin 10 hooked to the common of the light and I caused an alarm on the drive and it doesn't work. Can someone please help me with this?

NateD

Re: NX Series Driver Alarm Output

Postby NateD » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:35 pm

When I cause an alarm .8VDC shows up my dmm. Is there any reason anyone can think of why this is happening when I have 24VDC hooked up to the output?

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:15 am

Hi NateD,

In regards to your question, the outputs on the NX driver are open collector type outputs. Therefore, the output will require a voltage supplied to it. The NX driver can accept 30 VDC or less and the amperage must be limited to 10 mA or less. Therefore, you will need to connect a resistor in series with the power supply to ensure that the current is limited to 10 mA or less.

Using the equation: V=IR, you can determine the resistance value needed, which will depend on the voltage that is being supplied.

For example, a 24 VDC power supply would require a 2.4k ohm resistor (R = 24 volts / 0.01 Amps = 2400 ohms).

Another forum depicts the wiring of a similar alarm output on our BX driver. Although the product is different, the output wiring is similar. You can reference the information from the previous forum using the link below:
viewtopic.php?t=646

NOTE: The PLC section can be redefined as the LED.

Also, the alarm output is a normally closed output. Therefore, when there is no alarm, the LED will be turned on. However, when an alarm generates, the LED will be turned off.

With the alarm removed, are you able to measure the voltage? With the alarm off, you should read closer to 24 VDC.

NateD

Postby NateD » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:16 am

I am not getting a voltage with the alarm on or off. I'm thinking something is wrong with this drive. I have tried the other outputs as well with no luck.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:29 am

Hi NateD,

If the other outputs are not working as well, then there is either an issue with the output terminal or the wiring to the output terminal. If the resistor was not originally used when wiring the 24 VDC power supply, then it is possible that the output was damaged due to the access current flowing through it.

If you have the CC05IF-USB communication cable, then you can connect the driver to the MEXE02 software. From the software, you can use the Status, I/O monitor to see what outputs are turning on and off on the driver. Otherwise, we can inspect the product through our RMA process. Please note that the RMA process may take around 3-4 weeks to complete as the process will require the part to be shipped to us and back to your location as well as the testing of the product. I will email you a form to fill out to start the RMA process, however, please note that if the part is tested and determined to have no issues, then the product will be shipped back to you.

Return to “Servo Motors & Controls”