NX servo series: S-ON vs BRAKE input in speed control mode

om_tech_support_JT

NX servo series: S-ON vs BRAKE input in speed control mode

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Q: Do you have a typo in your NX series user manual? I'm using the NX system in speed control mode. While going over your step by step setup instructions on page 72 of your user manual, it says to make sure to turn the BRAKE input ON for normal operation. I understand this as sort of a "enable" input for the motor. I have used your MEXE02 software to monitor and confirm that the BRAKE input is ON, but the motor does not rotate even if I have the CW or CCW input ON. What could I be doing wrong? Can you help?

A: If you look at page 72 of the manual, it tells you to turn the BRAKE input on. If you look at page 80 and 81, it explains why sometimes you need to turn on the S-ON input in addition of the BRAKE input. It depends on if you have "servo lock" on or not [SYS-1-02].

Here's the manual: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 073-3E.pdf

Here's the description on the S-ON input:

Exciting the motor: S-ON input
This input is effective when the parameter for operation selection after stopping in speed control mode [SyS-1-02] is set to “Servo lock.” Turning the S-ON input ON will excite the motor. In the case of an electromagnetic brake motor, the electromagnetic brake will be released after the motor is excited. When the S-ON input is OFF, the deviation counter will be cleared and input operation commands will be ignored.

You can set the S-ON input to function in the contact A (normally open) or B (normally closed) logic using the application parameter for S-ON signal logic [APP-1-00] (the initial value is to use the contact A logic (normally open)). If the S-ON input is set to use the contact B (normally closed) logic, the motor will be excited automatically after the power is turned on and turning the S-ON input ON will cause the motor to lose its holding torque.

Note If the S-ON input is turned ON when only the 24 VDC power is input, a main power supply warning will generate. If a pulse signal is input while a main power supply warning is present, a main power supply error will generate.

Below are pages 80 and 81.

NX BRAKE input vs S-ON input timing chart.jpg
NX BRAKE input vs S-ON input timing chart.jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 3666 times

NX BRAKE input vs S-ON input timing chart1.jpg
NX BRAKE input vs S-ON input timing chart1.jpg (91.95 KiB) Viewed 3666 times

JT

Return to “Servo Motors & Controls”