NX: Entering Tension Parameters and Resetting Diameter

om_tech_support_JT

NX: Entering Tension Parameters and Resetting Diameter

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Q: I am considering building a machine to unwind/wind some sensitive material using an NX servo motor and a torque motor similar to a reel-to-reel analog tape recorder. The NX servo system will be running the take-up spool, and I plan to use the Tension Control Mode- high function mode I to keep a steady preset tension force. The torque motor will be installed in the feed spool, rotate in the opposite direction, and be back driven by the NX servo motor. It is extremely important that I maintain an accurate, constant tension while winding. When the take-up spool is fully loaded, I will stop the machine and replace it with an empty spool. Where do I enter the tension value and diameters I need for my material? How do I reset the NX so that it knows it has a new spool?

A: The NX servo motor system has 3 operation modes to maintain accurate tension when the driver is set to Tension Control Mode: simple, high function I, and high function II. The default setting is "simple". (Please scroll for more information.)

NX servo operation modes for tension control.jpg
NX servo operation modes for tension control.jpg (473.93 KiB) Viewed 1754 times

Since you plan on using high function mode, please follow these steps below (reference pages 110-115 of manual) to perform a tension high function mode I operation:

Step 1 Calculating the tension command value
Step 2 Setting the tension command value
Step 3 Setting the initial diameter, material thickness and final diameter
Step 4 Setting the material inertial moment and core inertial moment (high function mode II only)
Step 5 Setting the taper
Step 6 Performing the tension controlled operation
Step 7 Setting the parameters

NOTE: You will need the MEXE02 data setting software or OPX-2A control module to modify parameters within the NX driver including the tension control mode. For the OPX-2A, the tension control mode setting (simple, high function I, and high function II) is in system parameter [SyS-1-03]. For the MEXE02, this setting is in the GUI: PARAMETER->SYSTEM->OPERATION->SELECTION OF TENSION CONTROL MODE.

NX OPX-2A and MEXE02 optional accessories.jpg
NX OPX-2A and MEXE02 optional accessories.jpg (42.43 KiB) Viewed 1754 times

NX SERIES MANUAL: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 073-3E.pdf

Once your wind spool is completed, you can stop the motor, then use the W-RESET input which will reset the winding diameter to the initial diameter.
NOTE: Turning the W-RESET input ON during operation will not trigger a reset

NX servo W-RESET input to reset winding diameter to initial diameter in tension control.jpg
NX servo W-RESET input to reset winding diameter to initial diameter in tension control.jpg (111.66 KiB) Viewed 1754 times

Return to “Servo Motors & Controls”