AZ Series Interface Control Documentation (ICD)

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
saad

AZ Series Interface Control Documentation (ICD)

Postby saad » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 pm

I've recently purchased the AZ Series stepping motor and driver package, I need to control it through serial com, I have tried the MEXE02 software and would like move the motor without using the software, is there any documentation or example that will guide me into move the motor via serial com, I am using python to send data via serial com.

om_tech_support_JS

Re: AZ Series Interface Control Documentation (ICD)

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi saad,

In regards to your post, can you provide me with the AZ driver part number that you are using AZD-[ ]? There are two types of drivers, the first option ending in -A, -C, or -K allows for pulse and direction signals to be sent to the driver for control. This option also allows for you to store data to the driver via the MEXE02 software. This data can be run from the software, or more typically from I/O on the driver.

The second option would have the ending -AD, -CD, or -KD. For these drivers, they also allow you to store data using the software and then run it via I/O. On these options, there are 256 data points that can be stored as the maximum rather than 64 data points for the first option. This is because 4 of the inputs on the first driver are dedicated for the pulse and direction signals. Also, the second option allows you to communicate via Modbus RTU (RS-485).

Neither of these options would allow for direct control via Python. Instead, you would need an external controller or PLC that can accept the Python program and then output either the I/O or Modbus to the product.

We offer our SCX11 controller for sending pulse and direction signals for the first option, however this controller is a stored program type controller which uses either USB, RS-232, or CANOpen Serial ports.

The SCX11 controller uses a specific syntax (the start of the command reference is on page 164 of the manual linked below).
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60080E.pdf

saad

Postby saad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey there,

The driver model is AZD-K, I've noticed through the MEXE02 software it's possible to move the motor, is there any link or pdf file of the Interface Control Documentation (ICD) / Command set that I can use to communicate without the use of the software.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:21 am

Hi Saad,

There is no link or pdf file of the Interface Control Documentation (ICD) / Command set that could be used to communicate without the use of the software. Apart from using the software, you would need to use the Inputs on the driver to control the forward and reverse directions, or you could use the pulse inputs to control the system.

saad

Postby saad » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Hey there,

Currently I'm using pulse inputs to control the system, I've read the manual and noticed that the output pins give out a 3V signal once trigger, output pin 9, OUT4, Control output 4 (MOVE), will give out a signal once the motor is moving, I tested my program to send pulses to move the motor and it did but I did not get any change on the Digital Multimeter, I tried observing the waveform provide by the MEXE02 software and it showed that the MOVE pin was triggered from LOW to HIGH. Is there any setting I have to do through software to get the output, I checked Direct-OUT function tab on the software and got a little confused, the documentations provided did not explain about these parameters, the section that shows composite output function has everything on CONST-OFF as default, do I have to change this to get an output? Looking forward to your reply. Thanks

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:56 am

Hi saad,

In regards to your most recent post, the outputs on the AZD-K driver are open collector outputs. Therefore, they will need a 12-24 VDC power supply connected to them in order to output a voltage. The outputs will also need to have the current limited to 10 mA or less. Therefore, an external resistor would also need to be wired in series with the voltage supply. You can reference pages 18-21 of the manual link below for further information on the wiring to the outputs:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60249E.pdf

As for the composite output, this is a new feature of the AZ series which allows you to use an AND/OR for the outputs. Therefore, you could have an output turn on if the output function AND/OR the composite output function has occurred.

saad

Postby saad » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Hey there,

I've looked into the SCX11 controller, it mentioned this on page 10, http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60079E.pdf,

Here, let us introduce how to command an operation by directly communicating with the SCX11. First, click the [Terminal] tab and open the terminal screen. (An operation by commands can be executed using commercially available terminal software as well.)

If any terminal works, can I connect it to the serial COM via python/c++, send a string such as MI, will the motor move? Also if I want to know if I can get feedback from it using my software, another thing I noticed is that I could not find the instruction set/command set that is used to communication with the controller, please refer me to the link so that my team and check if it will be compatible with my setup, thank you in advance.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi Saad,

The terminal tab referenced on page 10 of the startup manual is referencing the USB communication using our Immediate Motion Creator software which is a free download from our website.
http://www.orientalmotor.com/downloads/software.html

Apart from this communication, the SCX11 can also use RS232C communication. For this communication, you could use a terminal software (one example being Tera Term) to write the commands. The command syntax can be found starting on page 165 of the operating manual which I have linked below:

saad

Postby saad » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:48 pm

Hey there,

I've looked into the documentation of SCX11 controller, I was wondering wonder if I could communicate via serial port and send characters such as,

UU=DEG/r/nDPR=360/r/nMR=500/r/n .. etc

In the documentation, page 67, it states that RS-232C and usb are the same, so my question is if I send that data and follow the data length and protocol will it function just the same way we could use the terminal software (IMC). Our software is pretty straight forward, we will open the port, send the instructions to move at an angle and wait for the feedback, can this be done? Has it been done in any other language, MATLAB, C++, JAVA, C#, PYTHON, looking forward to your reply.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 am

Hi Saad,

In regards to your post, page 67 states that anything you can do via RS-232C, you can also do via USB using our Immediate Motion Creator Software with the exception of the daisy chain connection.

There is unfortunately no previous examples of someone using Python to control the SCX11 controller, however it would theoretically be possible. You would need a software module which would allow you to write out the python code and have it converted to ASCII strings. Since there is no previous examples and this is not the typical use of the SCX11, there is not much further assistance that we can provide for setting up the SCX11 with Python or any other languages.

sindyciaray

Postby sindyciaray » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:42 pm

For this communication, you should use a terminal software

saad

Postby saad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Hello there,

You mentioned that I could use a terminal software to send ASCII commands to communicate with the motor correct, lets just say I buy the SCX11 motor controller and follow the protocol and use tera term as the terminal software, will it work? Also can I use connect the SCX11 controller via usb to do this. What if I buy the other model, AZD-KD, will the setup work as well? I was told that I might have to convert ASCII command into RS485 compatible command, is this true? Or do I just use the terminal to send the ASCII commands, thanks once again, waiting for your reply.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:09 am

Hi Saad,

With the AZD-K driver, you can use the SCX11 controller to send the pulse and direction signals in order to get the motor to move. The USB to mini B connection on the SCX11 controller will only be able to be used with the IMC (Immediate Motion Creator) Software that we have as a free download from our website.
http://www.orientalmotor.com/downloads/software.html

If you want to use a separate terminal software to send ASCII commands, then you will need to connect via the RS-232C connection. More information on this connection can be found on page 67 of the manual:

Looking at the AZD-KD driver, this driver will either use our MEXE02 software to setup the data points, or you can use Modbus RTU (RS-485) in order to communicate to the driver. Instead of ASCII strings, you would be writing to the modbus registers on the driver.
NOTE: The AZD-KD cannot be used with the SCX11 controller.

saad

Postby saad » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:00 am

Hello there,

I just received the SCX11 motor controller and the setup worked with my software, now I want to know how to power them both, my current setup is connecting both of the motor controller and driver separately to a regulated DC power supply, I am thinking of using two 12 V lead acid batteries with 7.2AH, I will connect them in serial and then power both controller and driver in parallel, will this setup work or is there an issue with the different current load as I know the motor driver takes more current, do let me know as soon as possible, thank you.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:20 pm

Hi Saad,

In regards to your post, using the 24 VDC power supplies would be our recommendation for the SCX11 controller and AZD-K driver. With that being said, each product will draw the current that it needs. Therefore, your power supply will need to have a minimum of the combined current values. For the SCX11 controller, it will require 0.26 Amps, then the AZD-K driver will require the amperage related to the motor that you have. This value can be seen in the table below:

AZD-K Power Supply Current Capacity.png
AZD-K Power Supply Current Capacity.png (93.48 KiB) Viewed 49 times

As long as the power supply has this much current or more, then the driver and controller can be operated. Please note that if the current falls below the combined value, then you can have an issue with the driver or controller not operating as it is not receiving enough current.

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”