how many sensor require for motor back to home

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
simonchin76

how many sensor require for motor back to home

Postby simonchin76 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:28 am

Hi,

I recently purchase EMP-400 dual axis controller and AR-series driver slider.

I would like the motor back to original location when i call MHOME1.
After read through the manual, it mentioned about 2 sensor and 3-sensor mode, since i would like the slider always back to location near motor, so 2 sensor mode is good enough for my application?
2-sensor mode mean 1 sensor connect to +LS and 1 sensor connect to -LS? total 2 sensors required or 1 sensor is sufficient?

Do you have recommended sensors and hardware connection diagram?

I notice that when i call MHOME1, it always goto 1 direction (away from motor) even i put the command line H - or H +. Do have any idea on it?

Appreciate your support on this matter.

thanks,
Simon

om_tech_support_JT

Re: how many sensor require for motor back to home

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Fri May 27, 2016 7:17 pm

Hi simonchin76,

Thank you for your purchase of our products.

2 sensor mode allow homing with only 2 sensors connected to the hardware limit inputs. However, it's slow. 3 sensor mode allows for faster homing speeds. You can use one sensor in either 2 or 3 sensor mode, but you have to make sure that when the motor is commanded to go home, it's always going towards the home sensor. If not, there won't be any limit sensor to stop the motor.

The sensor wiring diagrams can be found on PAGE 22 of the manual: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 036-3E.pdf

For your issue of the motor always going in one direction, please check your pulse mode setting on both the EMP controller and the AR driver. Both have to match in either 1-pulse or 2-pulse mode.

simonchin76

Postby simonchin76 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:54 am

Good day,

All the hardware is set to 2 pulse mode. (AR driver hard coded switch with 2 pulse mode and EMP-400 software seq check is 2 pulse mode).
At beginning of power up, it able back home toward motors; after execute some seq, when call mhome, it back away from motor which puzzle me. I haven;t connect any sensors to my +LS and -LS yet.
So need your advise on this issue.

Getting knew from your explanation, 2 sensors mode or 3 sensors mode is just related to speed back to home. Is not related to the direction of motor return back to home.

Question here is what type of sensor output (NPN or PNP) need to connect to +LS and -LS ?

For the sensor connection, i connect pin 12 (volt supply to sensor) & pin 13 (gnd to sensor) for both sensors with first sensor OUT connect to pin 8 (+LS) and second sensor OUT connect to pin 9 (-LS), is this correct?

thanks,
Simon

om_tech_support_JT

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi simonchin76,

Please add one more line to your homing program. Right before the MHOME command, add H+ or H-. This should fix it. Once the H+ or H- is set or changed, it stays the same until you change it or reset or cycle power.

For sensor connection, you can refer to PAGE 22 of the operating manual: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 036-3E.pdf

The sensor(s) should have NPN output since the output sinks to GND. Is this what you have? We'll also need to pay attention to normally closed / normally open. The default setting is "normally open". Your sensor wiring is correct for 2 sensor homing.

simonchin76

Postby simonchin76 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Good day,

Would like to check with you if put the limit sensor, when the user key in motor travel distance is greater than the limit sensor location, the motor will stop and led error blink? After that the motor still able to move or back to home?

thanks,
Simon

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:01 am

Hi simonchin76,

When the limit sensor is tripped, (i.e. when the motor travel distance is greater than the limit sensor location) the motor will stop and an alarm will be generated. Executing the MHOME command will then cause the motor to move away from the sensor. Neither an INC nor an ABS move will be able to be executed since the alarm will be generated. You can reference page 17 for information on the alarm output when a limit sensor is tripped:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 036-3E.pdf

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”