Holding torque modbus control question for AZ series motor-driver

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
kokalz

Holding torque modbus control question for AZ series motor-driver

Postby kokalz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:23 am

Hi all,

I'm a bit new to when it comes to control of the motors using a Modbus RTU protocol.
I'd like to be able to have a command to turn the holding torque on and off through a computer query command.
Ideally I'd be able to turn the holding torque off, move the motor stage to the desired position and the turn it back on, whilst being able to read the new absolute position of the stage.

The MEXE02 test utility has this exact optionality (holding torque on-off & position monitoring) through the current control.
Is there a way to do similar process through Modbus command?

Thank you in advance!

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Holding torque modbus control question for AZ series motor-driver

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi kokalz,

You can write 40h (64 decimal) to the 007Dh (125 decimal) holding register in order to turn the FREE input on. When the free input is on, the motor loses its excitation which means that you should be able to move the motor by hand, if you can overcome the gearing. However, by rotating the motor by hand, you are essentially turning the motor into a generator which means that there will be back EMF that will be sent to the driver. It is not recommended to rotate the motor by hand as this back EMF could potentially damage the driver.

Instead, you can use the RV-POS and FW-POS or RV-JOG and FW-JOG to move the motor to the correct position. These options, as well as the FREE input, can be referenced on page 256 of the manual linked below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60262E.pdf

Once the motor is in the correct position, you can check the current position by reading the holding register for the position feedback which is the 00CCh / 00CDh (204 / 205 decimal) registers. You can reference page 349 for the feedback position registers.

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”