Setting speeds below 1Hz?

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
alands

Setting speeds below 1Hz?

Postby alands » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm using direct data operation commands, via RS-485 modbus, to control an AZD controller, referencing manual HM-60262E.pdf, starting on page 342.

Is there a way to set the motor to a speed below 1 step/s? I believe the documentation refers to step/s as Hz.

The longer version of the question is, my slide moves 0.01 mm/step, and I need to move the equivalent of 0.006 mm/s.
- is there a way to half step or microstep the system?
- is there a way to set the travel rate that low?
- could I pre-write an operation in MEXE02 and trigger it via modbus?

The slide is an EXSM4CLE010AZAK.

Thank you

ohohoh

Re: Setting speeds below 1Hz?

Postby ohohoh » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:36 am

I don't know :( :(

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi alands,

The lowest speed that you can set on the AZD product is 1 Hz (1 step/second). However, you can change the resolution of the motor so that it will be microstepped. In order to change the resolution of the motor, you will need to change the Electronic gear B and Electronic gear A. You can change these Electronic gearings either through our MEXE02 software or via Modbus. In the MEXE02 software, they can be found under the Motor & Mechanism(Coordinates/JOG/Home operation) parameter. Otherwise, you can use registers 0381h and 0383h (897 and 899 decimal) found on page 389 of the manual linked below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60262E.pdf

You can also reference pages 17 and 18 of the manual for the section on setting the resolution. This section details how to calculate the Electronic gear A and Electronic gear B values.

Lastly, you can pre-write data to the MEXE02 software which can then be triggered through modbus. If you store the data information via the MEXE02 software, then it will be stored to the NV memory. This data can be operated via the 007Dh (125 decimal) register. You will either need to turn on a binary configuration of the M0 to M7 inputs, or you can use the D-SEL inputs depending on how many data points you wish to store.

However, the Direct Data Operation works separately from the stored data. The direct data operation works as a write and trigger operation that stores the information to the RAM. Therefore, the direct data operation allows you to change the position and speed and execute it and the MEXE02 software allows you to store data points that you can select between.

alands

Postby alands » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:02 am

I'm having a harder time implementing this tip than the others. The documentation does not indicate a way via modbus to read the current values of the electronic gear settings from the controller, or the flag that enables them. And simply reading the same registers as I set, yields inconsistent outputs that don't match what I'd expect.

Actually, the controller behaves inconstantly in general, and now I'm not sure about how to undo what's been done, with certainty.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Hi alands,

The Electronic gear A and Electronic gear B are "Mechanism settings parameters" and their registers can be written to and read from. As previously stated, these register values are 0381h and 0383h (897 and 899 decimal) respectively (referenced from page 389). The factory default setting of these registers will be 1. Since these are parameter settings, they only need to be changed once and will then affect your resolution. In order to make your changes become effective, you will need to cycle power on your driver.

Do you know what resolution setting you are looking to achieve? In order to determine the resolution obtained by changing these values, you can reference the equations found on page 18:

As far as undoing what has been done, there is an option to do a data initialization to restore the parameters back to a factory default settings. In order to achieve this, you can either connect to the MEXE02 software and click the "Reset..." option under the communication tab, or you can write 1 to register 018Fh (399 decimal) found on page 345 of the manual.

alands

Postby alands » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:52 pm

Since the my last post I've made progress, and believe there are two key issues.

First, I am successfully setting the registers of the Electronic Gears A/B, and can inspect the changes within MEXE02. However, the change to the electronic gear does not take effect until I run a "Configuration" within MEXE02, and the manual says that function is not supported via Modbus. What is the equivalent action to activate the change?

Second, as documented, the change to the "Manual setting of the mechanism settings" does not take effect until after cycling the power. What's interesting here is with an electronic gear ratio of 1/1, the distance travelled per step is different than when using the ABZ0 settings. Are absolute position calls accurately reflected in this mode? I need to use them for the majority of the operations.

Thanks again,

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:14 am

Hi alands,

When writing the Electronic Gears A/B via modbus, you can also perform a configuration. After you have made the changes to the 0381h and 0383h (897 and 899 decimal) registers, then you can write 1 to the configuration register 018Dh (397 decimal) found on page 345:

When you write information to the Modbus registers, you are writing to the RAM memory. If the power is cycled on the driver, then any information in the RAM memory will be lost. In order to avoid losing what you have written, you can 'save' to the NV (non-volatile) memory. (When you write via the MEXE02 software, it is writing to the NV Memory). In order to save what you have written in the RAM memory to the NV memory, you will need to write 1 to the 0193h (403 decimal) register found on page 345.

To answer your other question, the stepper motor will rotate based on a specific number of steps (or pulses). By changing the Electronic Gearing, you will be adjusting the amount of pulses per revolution (PPR). If you already have position values set in the driver, then they will remain the same pulse value which you originally used.

For an example, if you originally set a value for Absolute 1000 pulses to achieve 1 revolution (or 360 degrees). When you change the electronic gear A to a value of 2, then you make the resolution 500 PPR. The data setting will remain the same for 1000 pulses, but you will now be rotating 2 revolutions. The pulses are what are kept the same. So if you have Absolute 360 degrees as your setting, then when you change your electronic gear A to 2, then the operation data will update to Absolute 720 degrees. This is because the original setting was 1000 pulses which was equivalent to 360 degrees; now the 1000 pulses is equivalent to 720 degrees. Therefore, it is recommended to adjust your parameter settings first and then make your data points.

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”