Motor moving after ETO (Estop) release

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
canderson

Motor moving after ETO (Estop) release

Postby canderson » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:14 am

I am currently using an AZ stepper motor with the AZD-AD controller, controlling the system using Modbus via Matlab.

I have wired the E Stop to the HWTO terminals on CN1. When I press the E Stop to open the EStop circuit, the motor stops as expected. The motor moves freely.

When I then release the E Stop button, then release the ETO via either Modbus or "Remote Teaching" in MEXE02, the motor starts moving. I can issue a position command and it seems to go to that position, but then continues to rotate even after I send a stop command.

I suspect the ABZO sensor might have lost sync, but I don't know how to reset it. Or something else entirely could be going on. What am I doing wrong?

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Motor moving after ETO (Estop) release

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:46 am

Hi canderson,

When operating the stop command, are you communicating via Modbus, or are you sending a stop signal via I/O? If the E Stop has not been triggered, are you able to use the Stop input, or does the motor continue to operate as well?

Also, can you please provide me with a description of your application? What would the typical operating scenario be; specifically what commands are you sending via Modbus?

canderson

Postby canderson » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:48 pm

I am sending my stop command, and all commands, via Modbus.

Prior to the EStop being triggered (after a power cycle), I am able to send motion commands including the stop command via Modbus. A position command will drive to a the desired position then continue to jog slowly in the - direction.

My application is that I am performing a step and measure sequence where I command 2 motors to particular positions, hold the position during measurement, then command the next positions. I am exclusively using Direct Write commands since the positions are not pre-defined. I have options in my HMI/GUI software to adjust position and speed. If the operator makes a mistake, I have given them 2 options for stopping the motors: a Stop button on my HMI, and the E Stop button.

The Stop command via the HMI uses the NETIn register.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi canderson,

For the stop input using the NETIn register (007Dh or 125 decimal), the rising edge of the stop is what will cause the motor to stop. Therefore, you need to write 0 to the register before another stop input can be sent.

For your positioning operation, are you looking to have the motor move once the ETO is released? Is the motor supposed to move in the negative direction once the position is reached? Based on your testing, it sounded like you required the motor to stay at a specific location until the results were measured.

So that I can better review your situation, can you send me a profile that you would use to send the position information? I would be interested in seeing what is written and which register the information is written to. I would also be interested in any parameters or settings that were changed. Lastly, what is the HWTO mode being used? ETO-mode or Alarm generation?

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”