Upgrading Techno LC4896

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
SFUberto

Upgrading Techno LC4896

Postby SFUberto » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:27 pm

I've got a 2003 Model Techno LC4896. This is a table router that originally had servos on it, but I want to use the new AR series of Alpha Steppers. I think that I will use Mach 3 and possible the Gecko G540 controller that I already have.

I can't decide if

1) the Flex or the Pulse type motor would be best for me. What advantages would I get with the Flex. Does Mach3 use the added capabilities?

2) is there a better option for the control software or control unit than Mach3 and Gecko G540?

3) Should I get a motor with a brake for the Z axis? I'm guessing there's no need for a brake for the Y or X axes. Is that right?

Am I on the right track? Please give me any insights available or other resources for making a good decision about upgrade options.

Thank you.

Steve

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Upgrading Techno LC4896

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Hi Steve,

In regards to your questions, the FLEX type driver is a built-in controller (stored data) type driver. This package product allows for controlling the motor through I/O, Modbus (RTU/RS-485), or an FA Network. The "Stored Data" classification means that you will need to save the data information to this driver. Once the data is saved (stored), then you can operate the data via the three methods mentioned above.

Choosing which driver you will go with will depend on the PLC (or external controller) that you plan on using with the product. Which PLC you choose to go with is up to you as there is no PLC that we recommend. If you want to control the motor via I/O or if your Mach 3 or Gecko G540 offer Modbus communication, then the FLEX type would be the recommended product. On the other hand, if your PLC can provide pulse and direction signals to the AR driver, then the pulse input type driver would be recommended.

The electromagnetic brake option will include a Power Off type brake. This brake will be engaged whenever the power is removed from the brake. It is recommended to go with this option when you have a vertical load (Z-Axis) as it will prevent the load from falling. If the load were to fall then it would create back EMF to the drive which could lead to damaging the drive.

SFUberto

Postby SFUberto » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I think I'll be better off with the pulse type motor, which means that I need an external type controller. Please help me confirm that I'm thinking right about this. Is your SCX11 an example of the type of controller that would work? Is the Gecko G203V another type that might work?

One more thing, please. I'm thinking about using the ethernet based motion controller the CSMIO/IP-A. I have read that this device will keep up with the encoder feedback from stepper motors real time, and actually slow or speed up steps as needed to coordinate the motion of other axis motors if any one should lose steps. If I understand it correctly, this would work through the controller (maybe SCX11) on to the driver and the stepper motor with it's encoder.
/------------> (X axis)-SCX11 <-------------> AZ69AK-3 driver and motor
Mach3 <-------------> CSMIO/IP-A < | ------------> (Y axix) SCX11 <-------------> AZ69AK-3 driver and motor
\------------> (Z axis)-SCX11 <-------------> AZ69MK-3 driver and motor with brake

Have you heard of the CSMIO/IP-A working successfully with this controller and motor combination to correct for missed steps?

Thank you.

Steve Uberto

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi Steve,

In regards to your post, the SCX11 is our external controller part number. This controller is a stored program type controller. This controller will provide the pulse and direction signals to the pulse input type driver. You will then be able to control the motor using various serial ports such as USB, RS-232C and CANopen.

Both the Gecko G203V and CSMIO/IP-A are manufactured by other companies and we do not have any testing data with those products working with our drivers or controllers. However, if the Gecko G203V can provide the pulse input type driver with pulse and direction signals as specified in the pulse input type manual, then it should be able to work.

As for the CSMIO/IP-A working with the SCX11, I have not hear of an Ehternet conversion to RS-232C. Therefore, I do not believe that they would be able to communicate with each other. Typically the SCX11 would be used to program your sequences and a PLC would then be connected to the SCX11 to operate the sequences.

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”