MEXE02 - Question

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
damdayy

MEXE02 - Question

Postby damdayy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Hello, from reading on here that you can only link 4 motions together with the motor, but I am looking for a way to link more or maybe loop back to the #0 motion after completing #4.
What I am trying to achieve is a continuous rotation in the same direction, several times.

Any help is much appreciated so thank you in advance. :)

om_tech_support_JS

Re: MEXE02 - Question

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:31 am

Hi damdayy,

I believe the product that you are referring to is our AR series of stepper motors. With this series, a maximum of 4 operations can be linked together. There is also no option to create a loop. In order to create a loop, you would need a PLC to trigger the first input once the linked motion was completed.

However, we now offer our AZ series of stepper motors. This series features a Mechanical Absolute Encoder. With this series, you are able to link all the operations (if you wish) as well as the option of creating loops. I have linked the AZ manual below for your reference. Page 58 has an explanation of the loop function.
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60262E.pdf

damdayy

Postby damdayy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:43 am

om_tech_support_JS wrote:Hi damdayy,

I believe the product that you are referring to is our AR series of stepper motors. With this series, a maximum of 4 operations can be linked together. There is also no option to create a loop. In order to create a loop, you would need a PLC to trigger the first input once the linked motion was completed.

However, we now offer our AZ series of stepper motors. This series features a Mechanical Absolute Encoder. With this series, you are able to link all the operations (if you wish) as well as the option of creating loops. I have linked the AZ manual below for your reference. Page 58 has an explanation of the loop function.
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60262E.pdf

Thank you for replying! Is there no way that I can link more than 4 operations or come up with another solution to my problem? Achieving continuity is a key factor for my application and unfortunately the positioning limit ( the step number limit) does not allow for it in 4 operations. Is sequential positioning operation not at all related to this?

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi damdayy,

With the AR series, you are limited to 4 linked motions. As previously stated, the AZ series does not have that limitation.

Looking further at the AR series, you would be able to achieve more of the functionality that you are looking for by adding a PLC to the system. You could then have the PLC loop the linked motions, or operate the next data after the previous data is completed.

You brought up a good point with the sequential positioning. The way that this function works is that you would use 1 start input (SSTART) in order to run through the operation data numbers which have the sequential positioning "effective." With this function enabled, each time the SSTART input is triggered, it will run the next data operation. If the last data is reached, then the next SSTART trigger will loop back to the first data number which has the sequential positioning enabled. NOTE: The sequential positioning must be enabled in consecutive data numbers. {i.e If data numbers 0 through 9 are enabled for sequential operation, then it will cycle through the data 0-9 and then go back to 0 and continue the cycle again. If data number 5 is disabled, then the SSTART will run data numbers 0 through 4 only.}

Keep in mind that the sequential operation requires the SSTART input to be triggered each time the previous data operation has finished. Therefore, someone (or a PLC) will need to trigger the SSTART input for the next data operation to start.

flukkkkkk

Postby flukkkkkk » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:08 am

damdayy

Postby damdayy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:45 am

om_tech_support_JS wrote:Hi damdayy,

With the AR series, you are limited to 4 linked motions. As previously stated, the AZ series does not have that limitation.

Looking further at the AR series, you would be able to achieve more of the functionality that you are looking for by adding a PLC to the system. You could then have the PLC loop the linked motions, or operate the next data after the previous data is completed.

You brought up a good point with the sequential positioning. The way that this function works is that you would use 1 start input (SSTART) in order to run through the operation data numbers which have the sequential positioning "effective." With this function enabled, each time the SSTART input is triggered, it will run the next data operation. If the last data is reached, then the next SSTART trigger will loop back to the first data number which has the sequential positioning enabled. NOTE: The sequential positioning must be enabled in consecutive data numbers. {i.e If data numbers 0 through 9 are enabled for sequential operation, then it will cycle through the data 0-9 and then go back to 0 and continue the cycle again. If data number 5 is disabled, then the SSTART will run data numbers 0 through 4 only.}

Keep in mind that the sequential operation requires the SSTART input to be triggered each time the previous data operation has finished. Therefore, someone (or a PLC) will need to trigger the SSTART input for the next data operation to start.

Thank you again, yes we do have the AR. My other question would be if there is a way to increase/ override the maximum step number (8 billion) each operation can be given.

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:57 am

Hi damdayy,

There is no way to increase/override the maximum step number that each operation can be given as it is the maximum value that can be written to the driver. One thing that you can do is to disable the "Software Overtravel." This way, you can continue to move the motor in one direction without alarming out with a software overtravel alarm. You could also set a wrap so that the position value resets at a specific distance. You can reference page 100 of the manual linked below for further information on the Wrap function:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 065-9E.pdf

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”