Having trouble driving 0.36deg stepper motor with ARD-K and Galil DMC 40x0 controller

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
pfranco

Having trouble driving 0.36deg stepper motor with ARD-K and Galil DMC 40x0 controller

Postby pfranco » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:21 am

I am unable to drive motor (with AR69MK-3) using Galil DMC 4030 step/dir signals. Please check my setup/connections below. Let me know if I am forgetting something or have incorrect connections and any other info you need from me.

I have checked the following before motor operation;
  • Motor is 0.36deg step and resolution is set to default 1000P/R
  • 1 input pulse mode selected
  • CLR input is off or not connected
  • controller sending 0 or 4.5V out of step motor direction output (TTL 0-5V) and 0 to 2.3V out of step/pulse output (TTL 0-5V at 50% duty cycle)
  • I have checked CNX5 cable for any broken or intermittent connections. The driver should be getting the step/pulse and direction signals.
  • motor brake is released (checked before exciting motor and shaft rotates)
  • motor is excited (C-ON is on) motor shaft can not be rotated by hand

Details of setup:
  • Controller: Galil DMC4030 with single ended step and direction outputs, motor type set to active high step pulses (I have tried active low pulses or inverting logic level of pulse train)
  • Driver: ARD-K
  • SW1 No4: Off (1000 P/R)
  • SW1 No3: Off (1000 P/R)
  • SW1 No2: Off (control mode off/normal mode)
  • SW1 No1: On (1 pulse input mode)
  • Current switch: did not change from factory setting
  • Speed Filter switch: did not change from factory setting
  • Input common (pin22): tied to 24V
  • C-on (pin23): pulled down to -24V
  • Brake: 24V supply connected

Pulse input connections:
( i have tried both sink and source connections)
    Sink:
    • PLS+ (pin 31): tied to 5V output on Galil External Driver connections
    • PLS- (pin 32): tied to step output on Galil External Driver connections
    • DIR+ (pin 35): tied to 5V on Galil External Driver connections
    • DIR- (pin 36): tied to direction output on Galil External Driver connections
    Source:
    • PLS+ (pin 31): tied to step output on Galil External Driver connections
    • PLS- (pin 32): tied to DGND on Galil External Driver connections
    • DIR+ (pin 35): tied to direction output on Galil External Driver connections
    • DIR- (pin 36): tied to DGND on Galil External Driver connections

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Having trouble driving 0.36deg stepper motor with ARD-K and Galil DMC 40x0 controller

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi pfranco,

In regards to your issue, it appears that your initial setup was correct. Checking the brake and having the C-ON input connected are two things that could have prevented the operation had you not checked those in the first place. Once the brake has power and the C-ON input is ON, then the only other thing that the driver needs is the pulse and direction signals.

Looking at your pulse input connections, our driver will require what you explained as the Source connection. For this connection, a pulse train will need to be provided to the driver from your Galil controller. Our driver can either accept a 5VDC or a 24VDC pulse train. This means that the step/pulse output would need to be 0 VDC for a low signal and 5 VDC (or 24 VDC) for a high signal. From your original statement of the step/pulse output, it is only sending a 2.3 VDC high signal. Therefore, the driver is most likely not reading the pulse as it requires 4.5 VDC or more for the signal as seen in the picture below (90% of 5 VDC is 4.5 VDC).
Pulse Signal Requirements.png
Pulse Signal Requirements.png (37.29 KiB) Viewed 329 times

If you have the CC05IF-USB communication cable as well as the MEXE02 software, which is a free download from our website, then you could do an additional test. Once the motor has the C-ON connected and the brake is not engaged, then you can use the software to check the status of the I/O. Additionally, you can JOG the motor to test and make sure that it can operate from a pulse signal.

pfranco

Re: Having trouble driving 0.36deg stepper motor with ARD-K and Galil DMC 40x0 controller

Postby pfranco » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 am

Hi John,

The drive manual shows connections for either sink or source and the galil controller can connect as sink/source as well. So I thought I can connect either way. But you are stating this drive requires a source connection. I have used CSD2140T and CVK (CVD228 K) drives with this same galil controller and I have never had an issue. I have connected them either sink/source.

The pulse signal that I was reading was from a volt meter and the galil outputs at 50% duty cycle. So 2.3V is the avg voltage its reading because its on only 50% of the time. I checked with scope and I am getting 5Vp-p but I connected as sink and galil pulse/dir outputs are set to active high (pulses start at 5V and pulls down to 0V to generate pulse train. This mean I need to change to source connection and change output type to active low correct?

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi pfranco,

We offer both Sinking and Sourcing connections for our Inputs on the driver, however, the pulse signals will be the same whether the driver is wired in either Sink or Source. Please reference the diagrams below.

ARD-K Sink Connection.png
ARD-K Sink Connection.png (214.34 KiB) Viewed 268 times

ARD-K Source Connection.png
ARD-K Source Connection.png (216.6 KiB) Viewed 268 times

As you can see from these diagrams, the wiring to pins 31 and 32 are the same for a 5 VDC connection. Our driver can accept either a line driver or an open collector type pulse signal from the PLC. If the voltage level of the pulse train is 5 VDC, then the PLC pulse output needs to be wired to pin 31. Pin 32 would then need to be wired to the PLS- (or Pulse ground) of your PLC. Finally, active high is the pulse signal that our driver will accept (pulses start at 5V and pulls down to 0V to generate pulse train).

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”