Connection of SCX11 and AZD-K

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
cpede

Connection of SCX11 and AZD-K

Postby cpede » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:01 am

Sorry about my lack of knowledge about Oriental Motors.

I am about to integrate a SCX11 Controller, AZD-K Stepping Motor Driver and a AZM66AK Stepping Motor into my own software.

What you see on the picture below is what I have, so something is clearly missing.

Ideally I want to use Direct commands to control the motor, via USB. So here are my questions:

• Do I need both the AZD-K and the SCX11, or can I just use the AZD-K?
  • If I need both the AZD-K and the SCX11, how do I then inter-connect them?
  • Do I need to connect to both USB connection on the AZD-K and the SCX11?
  • Do I need to provide 24V power to both the AZD-K and the SCX11?
  • Any benefits using the RS232 over USB, f.x. daisy-chaining, multiple motors?
  • Do I need any software to set up the motor/driver?
  • Do I need any software to set up the controller?

-cpede
Attachments
Oriental Motor Config.png
Oriental Motor Config.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 689 times

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Connection of SCX11 and AZD-K

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi cpede,

In regards to your questions, the ARD-K driver is a pulse input type driver. This driver is unique from our other pulse input type drivers as it allows for a few methods of control. The first method is to send pulse and direction signals from an external controller. The SCX11 is an external controller which can use various serial ports such as USB, RS-232C and CANOpen. The other option is to store data sets to the driver which can then be run via I/O on the driver.

Option 1: Pulse Input type Using SCX11 controller

Going with the first option of pulse input type control, then the SCX11 would need to be connected to the AZD-K driver. You can reference pages 17 to 21 of the AZD-K manual for both the Sink and Source Connections:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60249E.pdf

You also can reference pages 35 and 36 of the SCX11 manual for the pin assignments of the SCX11 controller:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60080E.pdf

Once connected, then you can use a mini B to USB connector to connect the SCX11 conroller to your PC. With the SCX11 connected, you can then use our Immediate Motion Creator (IMC) for SCX11 Software which is a free download from our website:
http://orientalmotor.com/downloads/software.html

Otherwise, you can use the RS-232C communication and use a terminal software to communicate to the controller. The benefit of RS-232C communication is being able to daisy chain.

Option 2: Stored Data type control

Going with the second option, you will not require the SCX11 controller. Instead, you can connect a mini B to USB cable from the ARD-K driver to your PC. Once connected, you can then use our MEXE02 software to create data sets which can then be run via the I/O. The MEXE02 software is a free download from our website:
http://orientalmotor.com/downloads/software.html

24 VDC Power Supply Requirement

Both the SCX11 and the ARD-K driver will require a 24 VDC power supply. The SCX11 will require 0.26 Amps or more for the power supply. The amperage rating on the 24 VDC power supply for the ARD-K driver will depend on the motor part number that you are using. Since you have the AZM66AK motor, you will require 3.8 Amps or more from the 24 VDC power supply. This is reference from the "Power supply current capacity" section of the ARD-K manual found on page 16:

AZD-K Power supply current capacity.png
AZD-K Power supply current capacity.png (63.06 KiB) Viewed 678 times

cpede

Postby cpede » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 am

OK, this is what I have done.

Looking in the manuals I simply connected 1->1, 2->2, 14->13, and 15->14 from the SCX11 to the AZD-K, to map the pulse and direction signals. Do I need to connect other signals?

The I supplied 24V, 5A on both devices and connected using the USB connector. to the SCX11.

Then I downloaded the Immediate Motion Creator for CM/SCX Series program, and on the Motion Creator page I specified Absolute motion type and set the Distance to 100 and pressed START Motion. The I hear a small "click" from the motor, but it does not turn. The Position Motor field however counts up, but no physical movement.
If I go to the Teach/Jog page, check the Teaching Start by Motor and I press the Jog buttons it turns in yanks.
If I press the Absolute System on the Motion Creator page I get an error: "Action not allowed", see attachment.

I see the same behavior when calling from my own code.

Any suggestions?

-cpede
Attachments
Oriental Motor Test 1.png
Oriental Motor Test 1.png (191.3 KiB) Viewed 652 times

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 am

Hi cpede,

In regards to your response, your connection from the SCX11 to the AZ driver is correct. There are a few things that I would like for you to check.

1.) What is the voltage switch set to on the SCX11 (5 VDC or 24 VDC?)

2.) What is the pulse mode of the driver and the controller? Both modes need to be set to the same pulse mode. You can reference page 28 of the AZ pulse input manual linked below for the pulse input mode setting:

You can change the pulse mode of the SCX11 controller by going to the System Config tab at the top of the IMC software.

3.) When you originally set up the AZ product, did you setup the home preset button as described by page 31 of the AZ pulse input manual? The button needs to be held until the LED flashes orange. Once it is flashing, you need to release and press the button once more before the LED stops blinking in order to establish the ZHOME position.

cpede

Postby cpede » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:31 pm

The voltage switch on the SCX11 is set to 5V.

On the AZD-K the SW1 was set to "Off,Off,On,Off". And since SW1-2 Off means 2-pulses according to the manual I went into the System Config page in the Immediate Motion Creator for CM/SCX Series software and changed the Pulse mode to 2 pulse, accordingly. Is 1 pulse mode maybe better? I have also Return to Factory Default.

Now the motor turns when a position is set, BUT it only turns in yanks approx. on pr. sec. klunk-klunk-klunk with 1 Hz repetition rate. I cannot get it to move smoothly ?

I have also set the Home position.

-cpede

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi cpede,

In regards to your response, the difference between 1-pulse mode and 2-pulse mode can be found on page 25 of the AZD-K manual which I have linked below:

AZD-K manual:

1-Pulse Mode vs 2-Pulse Mode.png
1-Pulse Mode vs 2-Pulse Mode.png (137.89 KiB) Viewed 626 times

One pulse input mode is not "better" than the other, but they will function differently. Therefore, it is important that the pulse input mode be set to the same mode on the driver and the controller.

To answer your question about the motor rotation, how are you controlling the motion of the motor? A 1 Hz setting for the speed is the minimum speed that can be set. This will cause the motor to move 1 step per second which will result in a more "stepping" motion similar to the second hand on a clock. To achieve smoother motion, you would need to increase the frequency while still avoiding the resonance frequency. (Resonance frequency is typically between the 150 to 300 Hz range). In order to achieve the same motion profile, then the driver can be microstepped in order to take a smaller motion per step. Is there a motion profile that you are looking to achieve?

cpede

Postby cpede » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:21 am

OK, I think that it was an electrical problem, now it seems to move smoothly.

However some more questions.

• If I have multiple axes, can I then address them all in one call like e.g. "\PC 0;" to set all axes to 0.0, or do I need to know the specific IDs of each axis and call e.g "@0;PC 0;@1;PC 0;@2;PC 0;" if the IDs are 0, 1 and 2. And what if two or more axes have the same ID like "*" what do I then do?
  • What about Home position. I noticed that when calling e.g. "MGHP;" I get an error "Motion or I/O settings incompatible". What does it require?
  • Can you see on the picture if there is an encoder attached? Why don't I get any encoder values?

-cpede

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi Cpede,

In regards to your response, the "\" is the syntax for the global command. This section of the manual is found on page 177. For the global commands, there are only a specific set of commands that can be sent to all the drivers. Since the PC command is not part of the global command list, you will need to call each axis using the "@n" method. It is recommended to set each driver to a different address value as using the same address is not a proven method for controlling multiple drivers. The assumption is that when the first driver with the address is found, the communication will stop at that driver and not continue on to the next driver with the same address. Therefore, you will need to test this method for further analysis.

SCX11 manual:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60080E.pdf

For the MGHP command, what HOMETYP are you set in? A table for the home seeking pattern can be found on page 88 of the manual. Depending on which type (or pattern) you are using, you will also require sensors for the MGHP command to function properly.

Lastly, the AZ series features a built-in absolute mechanical encoder. This encoder provides feedback between the motor and the driver to ensure that the motor keeps in step. If the motor is ever out of step, the driver will alarm out. This signal, however, is not taken to the SCX11 controller. Therefore, there is no encoder value will show up on the SCX11.

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”