Connecting AR-series drivers to a Galil DMC controller

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
sumit0008

Connecting AR-series drivers to a Galil DMC controller

Postby sumit0008 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi,

I am very new to stepper motors and using controllers to control their motion. I am trying to use a Galil DMC-4133 motion controller along with 3 AR-series stepper motors. I just need the motors to do simple positional operations, run clockwise a certain number of times and then run counter-clockwise a certain number of times. I am having difficulty in figuring out how the wiring should be on the two connectors.

Can anyone help me figure out which pin on the 36-pin connector on the driver side corresponds to which pin on the 26-pin connector on the controller side? Also may I know specifically the signal descriptions of pin 2, 21, 22, 23, 25 and 30 and which corresponding pin on the controller can be connected to them? The controller manual can be retrieved from this link: http://www.galilmc.com/checkreg.php?loc ... et=man41x3

Looking forward to your replies.

om_tech_support_JT

Re: Connecting AR-series drivers to a Galil DMC controller

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi,

I did take a look at the Galil DMC controller manual. However, it is difficult to determine which pins the pulse and direction outputs are located on their connector (perhaps these have to be pre-assigned?). While we're not experts with Galil controllers, I can tell you exactly how to wire our inputs.

Our AR series series drivers (ARD-A, ARD-C, ARD-S, ARD-K) would have pulse and direction inputs that accept either 5VDC or 24VDC, sinking or sourcing. From what I can gather from the Galil manual, it seems that their pulse and direction outputs are specified at 0-5VDC, 20mA sink/source. I would wire these as:

GALIL OUTPUT TO OUR CN5 36 PIN CONNECTOR:
1. 5VDC+ PULSE+ to our pin 31 (CW+/PLS+)
2. 5VDC- PULSE- to our pin 32 (CW-/PLS-)
3. 5VDC+ DIRECTION+ to our pin 35 (CCW+/DIR+)
4. 5VDC- DIRECTION- to our pin 36 (CCW-/DIR-)

All we need to do is find out which outputs would provide these signals on the controller side. For a detailed wiring diagram, pin-out table, and signal descriptions, please refer to our AR series operating manual here:
AC TYPE: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60156E.pdf
DC TYPE: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 60139E.pdf
(If your driver model is not ARD-A, ARD-C, ARD-S or ARD-K, please let me know your actual model number. We many various versions of the product available.)

You do not have to wire all of our inputs/outputs to your Galil controller (only the C-ON input, pulse and direction are required; others are optional as needed). If you are open to replacing your Galil controller and simplifying things, we have our own universal controller below:
[ SCX11 ]
-highlights include USB and GUI interface
LINK: http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... lers/scx11

Please let me know if you have any more questions. We also have some on-demand training videos available on our website under the TRAINING tab.

sumit0008

Postby sumit0008 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi om_technical_support,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have already figured out pin 31,32, 35 and 36. On the Galil side, pin 3 and pin 13 provide the direction and pulse input respectively. So I think pin 32 goes to pin 13 and pin 36 goes to pin 3.

However, what I am confused about is the C-ON input pin. From the wiring diagram in the manual, I see that it is supposed to be connected to a 0V output. Is that correct? How am I supposed to close the C-ON since it is set as open? Do I just connect it to the ground pin on the controller?

Well I am carrying out a school project and these are the items I have at my disposal in the lab now. So I am kinda stuck with these. :)

om_tech_support_JT

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:17 pm

Your Galil PLC should have 4 outputs to connect to our pins 31/32/35/36. There are 2 + signals and 2 - signals (PLS+, PLS-, DIR+, DIR-). Sometimes, PLCs use a common - signal.

The C-ON input can be wired to either 0v or 5~24v since our circuits can either sink or source. Most of our current products offer this flexibility. If you look at our manual, it would show 2 diffent wiring diagrams. Both would work. You'll just have to pick one and follow it. Your PLC would be the "controller", and our AR driver would be the "driver" in the wiring diagram. One wiring diagram (connecting to a current sink output circuit) would show 5~24VDC connected to pin 22, and 0v connected to pin 23. The other wiring diagram (connecting to a current source output circuit) would show 0VDC connected to pin 22, and 5~24VDC connected to pin 23. Once you have connected our pins 22 and 23 properly, when you turn on the output from the PLC, it will complete/close the entire circuit and turn the C-ON input ON.

I do not yet know which AR series model numbers you are using, so I cannot provide accurate manual page numbers as reference.

The same information is also listed on page 76 and 77 of the catalog linked below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... es_USA.pdf

mnedgeppolo

Postby mnedgeppolo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:15 am

Thank you for posting this information!)

aldoned

Postby aldoned » Tue May 31, 2016 11:58 pm

Thanks for the info

RogerBritt

Postby RogerBritt » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:02 am

Hi...as per my knowledge the C-ON input can be wired to either 0v or 5~24v since our circuits can either sink or source. Most of our current products offer this flexibility. If you look at our manual, it would show 2 diffent wiring diagrams. Both would work. You'll just have to pick one and follow it. Your PLC would be the "controller", and our AR driver would be the "driver" in the wiring diagram. One wiring diagram would show 5~24VDC connected to pin 22, and 0v connected to pin 23.

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”