System with two stepper motors and manual control

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
JoeClark

System with two stepper motors and manual control

Postby JoeClark » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:40 am

Hello,

I need to build a system made from two steppers motors that will be mounted opposite to each other and rotate in same direction (first motor have to rotate clockwise and second counterclockwise). The system will be controlled manually with button for stop/run , forward/reverse and knob to control the speed of motors. Can I connect those two stepper motors to one driver? Also what will be the easiest/cheapest way to build system like that?I actually checked electrical product video for help but wasnt satisfied.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

om_tech_support_JS

Re: System with two stepper motors and manual control

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:02 am

Hi JoeClark,

In regards to your post, was there a particular reason for the stepper motor product being used for this application? If you are looking to rotate based on a Run/Stop input, then another option to consider would be a Brushless DC speed control motor series. The Brushless DC motors would require a driver for each motor, but can have their speed controlled. Depending on the series that you select, different options for speed control are available such as: Internal Potentiometer, External Potentiometer, External DC Voltage, and Digital Setting.

A stepper motor, on the other hand, is typically used for a positioning application and will require step (or pulse) information and a frequency (in Hz) to determine the distance the motor rotates and the speed of the rotation. Stepper motors would also require a driver for each motor.

In order to assist you further in selecting the appropriate motor for your application, then I would need to know:
1.) What torque, inertia, and speed are required from the motor (if this is unknown then we can provide a sizing if you can supply the information on the mechanical system as well as a description of the application).
2.) What input voltage you wish to use
3.) What speed setting method you wish to use

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”