CVD driver selection and setup

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
Stepperquiet

CVD driver selection and setup

Postby Stepperquiet » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am

I am considering changing my drivers to your CVD driver to minimize vibration and noise. There are some questions at the bottom of this that I need help with. The following is a description of my existing installation.

I am using three Nema 24 stepper motors, one Nema 23 stepper motor and four DQ542MA Wantai drivers to raise and lower a 160 pound platform vertically using a 1/2”- 10 acme screw thread. Two of the motors lift approximately 40 pounds each, one of the motors lifts approximately 55 pounds, and the Nema 23 motor lifts approximately 25 pounds. The installation works well except it is very noisy and at some increments and the motor with the highest load sometimes has a high pitch noise when running at approximately 200 rpm. I can adjust the speed up or down to minimize the high pitch noise, but this significantly increases low frequency vibration. I have the drivers set at the maximum of 4.2 A Peak (3.0 A RMS). I do not know if the amperage rating specified for the motors is the Peak value or the RMS value. I am currently using a 120 VAC input by 36 VDC output switching power supply with an active PFC function. I am using an inexpensive controller that has three jumper selectable pulse ranges, an adjustable pulse rate, direction, and an enable disable function.

The following is the information I have on the Nema 24 motors.

Model 24HS393008D
2 Phase 8 wire connected in Bipolar Parallel
1.8 degrees/Step
4.24 A/Phase Bipolar Parallel
0.7 Ohms Resistance
3.0 mH/ Phase Inductance
3 Nm Min Holding Torque
0.12 Nm Max Detent Torque
100 mm body length

The following is the information I have on the Nema 23 motor.

Wantai Motor model WT57STH115-4204A
2 Phase
1.8 degrees/Step
3.78 Volts
4.2 A/Phase
0.9 Ohms Resistance
3.8 mH/ Phase Inductance
3 Nm Min Holding Torque
0.12 Nm Max Detent Torque
800 gram cm squared Rotor Torque
112 mm body length

From the data shown above, which CVD driver would be the best match to my motors?

Will the motor torque from minimum speed to approximately 200 RPM be significantly less with the CVD driver than it is with my current DQ542MA driver?

What specifications and features should I look for in a 24 VDC power supply to reliably power four CVD drivers without increasing noise?

om_tech_support_JS

Re: CVD driver selection and setup

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi Stepperquiet,

In regards to your post, the drivers that we offer are constant current type drivers. Therefore, the current value to the motor would be constant from our driver. The input voltage to this driver would also now be 24 VDC.

The speed-torque performance of the stepper motor will be dependent on how the motor is wired. The bipolar parallel wiring will offer the largest speed-torque curve (as referenced in the link below), however this wiring will also generate the most heat:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/stepper-mo ... tions.html

Bipolar Parallel reference speed-torque graph comparison.png
Bipolar Parallel reference speed-torque graph comparison.png (43.51 KiB) Viewed 50 times

Because the amperage would stay the same from the new driver, the holding torque (or low speed torque) would remain the same as well. However, since the driver is a 24 VDC input instead of the 120 VAC input to 36 VDC output, then the torque at higher speeds could potentially be less than it was before at the 200 RPM speed.

The recommended CVD driver that we offer is the CVD242BR-K driver. This driver outputs a maximum of 4.2 A/phase. Depending on if your motor requires 4.2 A/phase or 3 A/phase, this driver can have the current adjusted via the RUN dial. You can reference the current setting information in the link below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... etting.pdf

The CVD242BR-K is also a microstepping driver. Microstepping could also help with the vibration if the motor is in a resonance frequency range.

The CVD242BR-K driver will need a 24 VDC power supply with a power supply current capacity of 3.6Amps. Therefore, 4 drivers would need a current capacity of 14.4 Amps. This can be referenced from page 6 of the CVD operating manual:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 128-2E.pdf

CVD242BR-K link:

http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/c ... cvd242br-k

*NOTE: Since the CVD242BR-K is a connector type driver, I would also recommend the LCS02CVK2 driver lead wire set which is sold as an accessory. This set will come with the motor, power, and I/O cables so that you will not need to make your own cables.

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”