Legacy AS Encoder Integration

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
RobertTravis

Legacy AS Encoder Integration

Postby RobertTravis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:41 am

Hello - I am a big fan of OM's products & have purchased & used over 100 Vexta motors in the past 15 years. I am very happy with your high quality products. They have never let me down.

I have a specialized piece of hardware that I am hoping you can help me interface with. The hardware requires picking up A&B incremental encoder signals to pulse the hardware in sync with motor movement.

I looked in the AS series documentation but I am confused. I am not an engineer - and could use some assistance with what wires go where. I'd hate to burn something up because I thought wrong.

I am using ASM98AA motors and ASD30A drivers. The motor side connector has 8 wires, 4 thicker ones for the motor coils and 4 thinner ones that go to the encoder. They are Black, White, Violet/Purple and Brown. Can you tell me which ones are a pair & what the polarity is?

I've attached a segment from the AS Manual that shows the CN4 pinout. I've highlighted what I *think* are the right outputs, but would like verification. Also, please clarify that to get any output from pins 13,14,15,16; I need to INPUT 5VDC to pin 1. Right? Please see my crude MSPaint pic showing the driver on the left and the hardware on the right. Feel free to erase my erroneous connections and reconnect properly in MSPaint and post back up.

Many thanks & gratitude for your assistance!
Robert

IsThisRight.jpg
IsThisRight.jpg (223.93 KiB) Viewed 81 times

RobertTravis

Re: Legacy AS Encoder Integration

Postby RobertTravis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:32 am

In case the pics are hard to see....

HardwareInterface.jpg
HardwareInterface.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 78 times

DriverPinout.jpg
DriverPinout.jpg (194.59 KiB) Viewed 78 times

om_tech_support_JS

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:01 am

Hi RobertTravis,

Thank you for your continued support and your kind remarks. It is our company's goal to provide our customers with the highest quality products and service.

In regards to your question about the AS series wiring, this series could accept either a 5 VDC or 24 VDC power supplied to the system. A more thourough explanation of the wiring can be found on pages 28-30 of the AS manual which I have linked below:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 59-18E.pdf

Please also reference the note mentioned in the manual:
"The same voltage must be set for the following two voltages. Connecting both 5 and 24 VDC power supplies may damage the driver and power supplies."

For the ASG and BSG outputs, there are two output options. The first option (ASG1 and BSG1) is for an open-collector type connection and the second option (ASG2 and BSG2) is for a line driver type connection. For your setup, the ASG1 and BSG1 would be the recommended outputs.

Since the +5 VDC input is connected to the (-) ENC pins 8 and 10, then I would recommend connecting pin 15 of the AS driver to pin 7, pin 13 of the AS driver to pin 9 and pins 14 and 16 of the AS driver to pin 4 as shown in the diagram below.

AS wiring.png
AS wiring.png (267.71 KiB) Viewed 69 times

RobertTravis

Postby RobertTravis » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:29 am

Thank you very, very much! This will help immensely!

Robert

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”