Pulse input mode switch setting CVD driver

Discuss Stepper motors, Drivers, Controllers, GUI's and related Accessories here.
Stepperquiet

Pulse input mode switch setting CVD driver

Postby Stepperquiet » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:02 pm

The manual for the CVD driver states that the Pulse input mode switch 1P/2P is factory set depending on the destination country but does not state what the setting does. I am guessing that it is for setting if the controller uses a "Current source output circuit" or a "Current sink output circuit" but I am not sure. What does the 1P/2P setting do? My controller is capable of either circuit. Is there a preference?

The manual also states to use a "Pulse signal converter" for noise immunity. This is shown as Model: VCS06 on page 11 of the manual. I could not find this part on the web page. Is this part available? I am trying to reduce the vibration noise from my stepper motors. Would a Pulse signal converter help?

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Pulse input mode switch setting CVD driver

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:27 am

Hi Stepperquiet,

These are very good questions that you have brought up. To answer the first one, the pulse input modes are described on page 7 of the CVD manual:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 128-2E.pdf

When the switch is set to the 1P side, then the driver will be set for 1 pulse mode. In 1-Pulse mode, the pulses are sent to the CW (PLS) pins (1 and 2) and the direction is determined by whether the CCW (DIR) pins (3 and 4) are held on or off.

When the switch is set to the 2P side, then the driver will be set for 2 pulse mode. In 2-Pulse mode, the pulses will be either sent to the CW (PLS) pins (1 and 2) OR the CCW (DIR) pins (3 and 4).

It is important to match this setting with the controller that you are using. It should also be noted that this switch is not the same as the Current Sink vs Current Source circuit. Our driver can accept either a line driver or open collector type pulse input. It is best to follow the wiring that is shown on page 5 of the manual for the explanation of the different wiring configurations that our driver can accept.

For the vibration concern, we have a previous forum that goes into deeper explanation of how to reduce the vibration of a stepper motor:
viewtopic.php?t=1042

Vibration is usually caused by something either mechanical or electrical. Having a higher resolution is one way to attempt to reduce the vibration of the stepper motor. Other mechanical changes like gearing and mounting considerations can be seen in the article linked above. Things like current control of the driver and the resonance frequency of the motor are other considerations to make, but since you already have the CVD driver, then the current control aspect would be already taken care of.

Lastly, the VCS06 part number is a Japanese part number and does not appear on our USA website. The purpose of this is to eliminate any noise that may be causing an issue with your pulse signal. This would help with any electrical noise or interference that may be occurring in your application. This accessory would not necessarily help with your vibration concern, but if you wish to test this accessory, then you would need to request the pricing on this item from our sales department. Please fill out the "contact us" form on our website to get the information on ordering the VCS06 part number:
http://orientalmotor.com/contact/index.html#tp31_2

Return to “Stepper Motors and Controls”