Seeking maximum low RPM speed control

Discuss AC Induction motors, Reversible motors, Synchronous motors, Low-Speed Synchronous motors, Torque motors, Gearheads, Brake Packs and related Accessories here.
leif26

Seeking maximum low RPM speed control

Postby leif26 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:22 am

I need help, I am working at a science museum and I am making an exhibit that contains a 60" stroboscopic disc. With a motor I need to spin the 50 pound disk anywhere from 30 to 500 rpm. With a potentiometer I would like to gradually change the rpm in very small steps around 1 rpm in resolution. It is also important that motor maintain the set rpm precisely and not wander. I have to run it from 120V AC power 700-watt max. I am told that I need an inverter drive and an AC brushless motor to achieve this. Can anyone recommend a motor and drive system for less than $1000?

Many thanks,

Steve.

omsupport1

Re: Seeking maximum low RPM speed control

Postby omsupport1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Steve,

What you want to do is possible, but is complcated by the fact that you have a VERY large inertia (360,000 oz-in^2) load to move and control. Unfortunately, Oriental Motor does not have anything powerful enough to move a load (and control) a load this large.

I recommend that you contact a company like B_odine or B_aldor (Sorry, I don't want search engines to get their names from our site!)

If you give them your motion desires (from your post) and the inertia value, they should be able to help you out.
Oriental Motor Product Forum Support
forum@orientalmotor.com

Return to “AC Motors”