Trouble w reversing 5GU90KHA

Discuss AC Induction motors, Reversible motors, Synchronous motors, Low-Speed Synchronous motors, Torque motors, Gearheads, Brake Packs and related Accessories here.
reallydumbwaiter

Trouble w reversing 5GU90KHA

Postby reallydumbwaiter » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:50 pm

I am pretty darn sure I have it wired up proper and for whatever reason it does not like to reverse. when powered forward it runs fine, in reverse it seems to stall sometimes but if you manually rotate the shaft it will start to spin in reverse just fine. It came with a 30uF cap and I tried using a 50uf cap I had which made little if any difference.

Are there any basic things I could be overlooking other than a bad unit?

Thanks in advance!

reallydumbwaiter

Re: Trouble w reversing 5GU90KHA

Postby reallydumbwaiter » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:59 pm

I meant to put 5RK90GU-AWMU ... cant figure out how to edit post :/

om_tech_support_JS

Re: Trouble w reversing 5GU90KHA

Postby om_tech_support_JS » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi reallydumbwaiter,

The 5RK90GU-AWMU is an older part number which will mate to the 5GU90KHA gearhead. This motor is a reversible motor with a power off type electromagnetic brake. Therefore, when there is no power provided to the brake, the brake will be engaged. First check to make sure that the power is being supplied to the brake. What input voltage is being supplied to the brake? What is being supplied to the capacitor?

Also, is there a load on the shaft of the motor? If so, when the load is removed, do you see the same issue, or does the motor operate normally?

Typically, when the motor's direction is not functioning, then there is an issue with the capacitor or the wiring to the capacitor. As you stated in your post, the motor came with a 30 uF capacitor. It is recommended that this motor be wired with a 30 uF capacitor and not a 50 uF capacitor. The connection diagram for this motor is linked below:
http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/browse ... etid=25674

From the diagram, the red and white wires of the motor are connected to opposite ends of the capacitor and the black wire is connected directly to your power supply. Once the other end of your power supply is connected to either the red or the white side of the capacitor, then you will get rotation in the CW or CCW direction depending on which side of the capacitor your power line is connected to.

If you are interested in testing your motor, then you can do a resistance test. You will need to check the resistance between the Red, White, and Black wires of the motor. The resistance between a combination of two of these wires should yield the results: SAME, SAME, DOUBLE.

Return to “AC Motors”