Reversible Single Phase Motor

Discuss AC Induction motors, Reversible motors, Synchronous motors, Low-Speed Synchronous motors, Torque motors, Gearheads, Brake Packs and related Accessories here.
andreik

Reversible Single Phase Motor

Postby andreik » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:26 am

Good day,

I'm new in the forum and I would like to ask help for my problems. I have a Single Phase 200/240VAC source and I need a Frequency Inverter and a Motor:
1) I will use FE100C but I need a single phase Reversible motor.
3) What is the difference between Induction & Reversible motor? I looked up to FE100/200 brochure and there's no Reversible motor indicated that is applicable for the Inverter.

Please help. Thank you,
Andrei K.

omsupport1

Re: Reversible Single Phase Motor

Postby omsupport1 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 am

Andrei,

The main difference between an induction motor and a reversible motor is the installation of a friction brake into the reversible motor. The purpose of the friction brake is to improve the braking time so that the motor can be reversed quickly. In case you didn't know, as an AC motor slows down, it's torque also decreases. Because of this, it is possible for an AC induction motor to actually be forced to generate a "negative torque" if it changes direction too quickly (without coming to a complete stop before changing direction). The friction brake on a reversible motor prevents the motor from getting into a "negative torque" situation, therefore allowing the motor to change directions quickly. The trade off for this ability to change directions quickly is that the reversible motor runs warmer than an induction motor, which means a reduction in duty cycle. While an induction motor is rated for continuous duty, the reversible motor has a 30 minute duty cycle. The friction brake causes the motor to run warmer than an induction motor.

Which brings us to the answer to your question. We do not offer reversible motors with our inverters because:
-Running motors with inverters inherently introduces the possibility of the motor running warmer. Couple this with a warmer running reversible motor and you will have life problems with the motor.

Our inverter products will allow you to use an induction motor and still change directions rapidly.

I hope that this answers your question.
Oriental Motor Product Forum Support
forum@orientalmotor.com

andreik

Postby andreik » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:12 pm

@omsupport1,

Thank you very much for the very informative response. Now for our application, I have informed you from my previous inquiry that we will use a single phase 200-240VAC supply and so, we intended to use FE100C Inverter to run a motor. Please refer to the link below:

http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/s ... cat=mypage

FE100C (Inverter - single phase)
4IK25GN-SW2 (Motor - 3 phase)
4GN3SA (Gearhead)

Question:
1) Can a single phase Freq Inverter run a 3-phase motor as suggested by the link above?

I'm a little bit confused because I thought single phase source cannot run 3-phase motors. Please enlighten me. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Andrei K.

omsupport1

Postby omsupport1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:43 am

Andrei,

It is very are astute of you to notice this type of difference.

However, yes, our FE100C (200~240VAC) single phase inverter can run a three phase induction motor. The inverter actually converts the single-phase power to the three-phase power for the motor, internally.

Good luck!

Return to “AC Motors”