Selection of AC motors for AGV

Discuss AC Induction motors, Reversible motors, Synchronous motors, Low-Speed Synchronous motors, Torque motors, Gearheads, Brake Packs and related Accessories here.

Selection of AC motors for AGV

Postby mihirchheda » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Hello,

I would like to use AC motors for AGV movement and steering. Please could you heolp with the selection of the motor if the AGV is having a max speed of 1.5m/sec and having a wheel diamater of 300mm.

Thank you

Regards,
MC
mihirchheda

Re: Selection of AC motors for AGV

Postby om_technical_support » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 am

Hi MC,

Using your max speed and wheel diameter, I've calculated a speed requirement of 95 RPM for your AGV movement. I would recommend that you start with our induction motors and a 18:1 speed reducer / gearbox. With the 18:1 gearbox, the induction motor will rotate at 100 rpm. It may be slightly slower when you mount the load to the motor. However, speed is only one of three critical components when sizing a motor. We still need your inertia and torque requirements.

I would recommend that you complete the following AGV motor sizing form in order to calculate your other requirements:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/support/motor-sizing.html
-registration is required.
-you can also send a drawing of your application to johannt@orientalmotor.com if you would like me to size it for you. Make sure to include all dimensions, weights, screw specifications such as pitch....etc.

Here is where you can access our induction motor catalog, as well as other types of AC motors:
http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/a ... index.html
-each motor type has its own unique characteristic. For example, induction motors are continuous duty, single-speed motors that offer no brake, so it will take about 30 revolutions at the motor to stop. Reversible motors are similar to induction motors but offer a friction brake and balanced windings so it can quickly stop and reverse direction on the fly.

Once you have your complete requirements, then we can discuss the motor options. We have DC motors as well if you prefer to power your AGV with batteries.
om_technical_support

Postby mihirchheda » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:50 am

Hello Johan,

Thank you for the reply.

I calculated the AGV motor sizing
and I got the result for torque required as 4843 Nm and the load torque as 3229 Nm. Load inertia as 112.8 Kg.m^2
Please let me know if I have done the right calculation
I have taken the AGV weight as 5000 KG including load and battery. There are three wheels but one one is the drive wheel and the other two are free wheel.
Angle to be 20 degrees. stopping accuracy 10mm and safety factor 1.5.
I have taken coefficient of friction to be 0.01

I cant find a motor which has a torque of such high value

Your help would be appreciated

Many thanks
MC
mihirchheda

Postby om_technical_support » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi MC,

Sorry for the late reply. I was not able to duplicate your exact sizing results because I did not have all of your parameters. However, I guessed on the missing information such as wheel weight, and got similar results. For example, if I use a 3 kg weight on the wheels each, and 90% for the efficiency, then I would get a result of 112.6 kg*m^2 for inertia, 95 rpm for speed, and 4305 Nm for torque.

Unfortunately, we specialize in manufacturing much smaller motors. Reducing your load and wheel diameters, or providing additional gearing on your end and reducing your speed requirement, would help reduce your requirements. Just to give you an idea, our biggest torque output is about 70 Nm.
om_technical_support

Return to AC Motors