TMP-1 Torque Motor Controller Output Torque Fluctuation

Discuss AC Induction motors, Reversible motors, Synchronous motors, Low-Speed Synchronous motors, Torque motors, Gearheads, Brake Packs and related Accessories here.
om_tech_support_JT

TMP-1 Torque Motor Controller Output Torque Fluctuation

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:32 am

Q; I am currently using your torque motor 3TK6GN-AW2U with the TMP-1 controller. And I am using an external DC voltage to control the torque output. When I measure the output torque, I get different reading ranging from 16 oz-in to 20 oz-in. I am wondering why there is fluctuation in the output torque even when all the settings are the same?

A: First of all, the TMP-1 controller has a 5% fluctuation in the output voltage. Since the torque motor output torque is directly proportional to the input voltage, when TMP-1 output voltage changes, the motor output torque will also fluctuate.

Also, the output torque depends on the running speed as well. When using a torque wrench to measure the output torque, you will get the maximum reading when motor is stalled. As soon as the torque wrench loosens up, motor will start to rotate and that change in speed will also result the output torque to change.

In addition, the external voltage source will have some degree of fluctuation as well. The TMP-1 controller takes a 0 to 5 VDC signal for torque control, if the power supply output voltage fluctuates, the output torque will change also.

Return to “AC Motors”