EZLimo Control via RS232

Discuss Linear or Rotary Actuators, GUI's and related Accessories here.
jack.czl

EZLimo Control via RS232

Postby jack.czl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:04 am

Hello there,

Is there anyone who knows how to use our own program to control the EZLimo system(we have a EZAM4E030MC and a EZSM4E050MC) via RS232?

Thanks.

om_tech_support_JT

Re: EZLimo Control via RS232

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi,

Yes. There is a way to write your own program to control our EZ Limo systems. You can achieve this by switching out our standard ESMC LIMO controller with an alternate driver with built-in controller and RS-232C communication capability: Alphastep Plus series driver. After you connect the dedicated RS-232C communication cable from the Alphastep Plus driver to your PC, you can use a Telnet program like Hyperterminal to write programs and save them on the driver, then run them based on inputs. HOWEVER, the single-phase 200-230VAC Alphastep Plus driver is not available for your motor sizes EZAM4E030MC and EZSM4E050MC. We can only offer the Alphastep Plus driver in single-phase 200-230VAC for bigger motor sizes.

We can only provide the Alphastep Plus driver if you switch your actuator models to single-phase 100-115VAC types.

OTHER NOTES:
Alphastep Plus series driver MANUAL: http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/p ... 023-2E.pdf (lists program commands)

Motor conversion cable required for EZ Limo / Alphastep Plus driver combination: CC002ES-AS

If you plan to use a 3rd party software to send commands instead of using something like Hyperterminal, this Alphastep Plus driver will still work if you can send the exact same program commands and key strokes (in ASCII) as shown in our manual from your software into our communication port on our Alphastep Plus driver. Please also remember carriage returns and line feed. When the program command is received by our Alphastep Plus driver, it will be executed immediately (unless you are in program mode).

simonchin

Re: EZLimo Control via RS232 (Urgent)

Postby simonchin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi,
I bought EZLimo System(ELS series) and also the build in motor controller EDR-36D 2 days ago, now i would like to control using my own pc program to control the it, so how can i do it??
I have IO cable, how do i connect to UART PC?? Where i can get the driver for the motor controller so it can recognise as COM Port in my PC??
Any Command ascii help in order to drive the motor??
Very appreciate your help in solve my problems here.

thanks and regards,
Simon

om_tech_support_JT

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi Simon,

The EZ-Drive that we use for the ELS series motorized slides is different than the controller we use for the EZA series motorized cylinders we discussed initially. The ELS EZ-Drive is offered in 2 types: pulse-input type, and built-in controller type. Your EDR36D partial part number most resembles the pulse-input type, which means that it's designed to be controlled with pulse signals from an external pulse controller. Your current existing driver is not designed to communicate through a network. You'll need an external controller like our SCX11 which is designed to send pulses into the driver. It's possible to set up ASCII communication with the SCX11's USB or RS-232C protocols to make it work like you want, or you can connect the SCX11 to a CANopen network compatible upper level controller (PLC or HMI).

[ SCX11 ]
WEB: http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... lers/scx11

Here are the EZ-Drive part numbers:

PULSE-INPUT (PHOTOCOUPLER): EDR36D-K-C1, EDR36D-K-C2
PULSE INPUT (LINE DRIVER): EDR36D-KL-C1, EDR36D-KL-C2
BUILT-IN CONTROLLER: EDR36P-K-C1, EDR36P-K-C2

Even if you had the built-in controller type EZ-Drive, it's still not designed to do what you want. It's designed to use either our MPC10 digital hand-held programming module or our EZED3 data setting software to set up its motion data. After all motion data and parameters are set up, you can disconnect the MPC10 and/or the EZED3, then control the system by using I/O.

If you prefer to use a Modbus/RS-485 network, our EAS series of motorized slides may work better for you. One of its available functions is to communicate via RS-485 to a Modbus RTU in order to set up its motion data and operate I/O remotely. If you have a Modbus network compatible PLC or HMI with an RS-485 communication port, it would work seamlessly.

Let us know if you have any more questions. Besides the EAS series, we also offer other non-standard linear motion products (see attached brochure). We may or may not have English catalogs available since many of these products are not released in your local region. For more information regarding these products, please contact your local Oriental Motor office.
Attachments
LIMO line card.pdf
(224.89 KiB) Downloaded 464 times

simonchin

Postby simonchin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:19 am

Hi,

Thanks for the explaination here.
I do contact our local sales & technical support. Yup, you're right, i do need to have external controller or SCX-11to pump pulses in.

Once, thanks again for your great explaination and support.
Have a good day.

regards,
Simon

simonchin

Postby simonchin » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:16 am

Hi,
Now i able to control the motor (ELS2XF030-KD) with the motor driver EDR36D by pump external pulses into it.

I have Q here:
Based on the datasheet, the motor lead 3mm for 300pulse/rev, so is it mean when i pump 1 pulse, the motor will travel 0.01mm??
Also, how can i calculate the motor speed? as i pump in 1000 pulses in 1 sec (1000 hz), so can say the speed is 10mm/s ?? but based on the observation, the motor travel 100mm in 10sec.. Any idea what happened?

thanks and regards,

om_tech_support_JT

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Based on the specifications, the ELS2XF030-KD linear actuator system model offers a 3mm lead (distance per rev), and 0.01mm travel for every pulse received.

1000 Hz x 0.01mm per pulse = 10mm per second. The linear resolution is set at 0.01mm per pulse so if you provide 1000 pulses, the ELS actuator should move 1000 x 0.01 = 10mm. The 0.01mm per pulse resolution is fixed so your total # of pulses must be 10,000 in order to move 100mm.

Are you using an SCX11 controller from us or another controller? Can you confirm the total # of pulses sent from it to our EDR36D controller? Perhaps you have a scaling factor set up on your end of x10.

simonchin

Postby simonchin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi,

i not using controlle SCX11. Can check how many pulses maximum that can output in 1 sec for this controller?

Based on my system now, can i set the ELS2XF030-KD linear actuator become 1 pulse = 0.05mm instead 0.01mm??

regards,

simonchin

Postby simonchin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:10 pm

BTW, how can i get back the travel distance, which I/O pin is involved for it??

regards,

om_tech_support_JT

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:46 am

Our SCX11 universal controller can provide up to 1.24 MHz (MegaHertz) pulse frequency.

The resolution for the ELS2XF030-KD model is fixed. You cannot change it. You can provide 5 pulses each time to travel 0.05mm.

I do not completely understand your next question:

BTW, how can i get back the travel distance, which I/O pin is involved for it??

If you're asking about how to access position feedback data from our EDR36D-K driver's outputs, it cannot be done. There are only 4 designated outputs on the driver: S_MOVE (tells when the motor is moving), S_MTEMP (when motor overheats), S_DTEMP (when driver overheats), and ALM (when driver alarms).

We have other linear motion systems that can provide the position feedback data output. The ELS series just doesn't offer it.

simonchin

Postby simonchin » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:21 am

Hi,

Can check with you there is [RETURN] and [Set-P] control, if i move the motor to certain location, i pump in pulse to the [Set-P] , the next time i send pulse to [RETURN], it will stop at [Set-P] position, is it correct??

Also, after i power off and on the motor driver again, will the motor will return back to [Set-P] position??

thanks and regards,

om_tech_support_JT

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:54 am

Hi Simon,

Your interpretation of the [RETURN] and [SET-P] inputs are correct. Turning on the [RETURN] input will command the ELS motor to perform a return operation back to a designated home position. The home position is determined at the location where the [SET-P] input is turned on previously. If the home position is not set by the [SET-P] input previously, it will perform a "push motion" homing operation to a hard-stop (same as turning on the HOME input). The ELS system has sensors to detect hard-stops, so once it detects a hard-stop, the motor will stop.

If you cycle power, you will lose the [SET-P] home position.

appsmartvn

Postby appsmartvn » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanks for the explaination here.

Return to “Linear and Rotary Actuators and Controls”