Current Positioning Data (p. 36, Section 4.12 of ESMC-X2)

Discuss Linear or Rotary Actuators, GUI's and related Accessories here.
ron_roth

Current Positioning Data (p. 36, Section 4.12 of ESMC-X2)

Postby ron_roth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Good afternoon,

1. My question has to do with the SPEED of reporting the Current positioning Data from the ESMC-X2 Linear Motion Controller.

2. On page 36, Section 4.12 of the manual -- it states that it takes 0.5 to 1 second to read data. This time just seems a little long.

3. I am planning on using your equipment a calibration project (move a certain distance with your device, read the voltage from our sensor) at several positions. The time lag from waiting for the positional reading from the ESMC-X2 gets to be a bottleneck.

Any suggestions or feedback.

Ron Roth

om_tech_support_JT

Re: Current Positioning Data (p. 36, Section 4.12 of ESMC-X2)

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 am

Hi Ron,

The 0.5~1 second refers to our ESMC-K2 LIMO controller's internal processing time. Sorry, we can't do much about this.

I can suggest an alternative method of reading position which is to have your PLC count the pulse signals from our ASG and BSG outputs. The ASG and BSG outputs will output a pulse for every step that the actuator takes. For the EZS II series, a pulse is 0.01 mm which is also the resolution of the actuator. If the ASG output pulses before the BSG output, then the actuator is moving in the positive direction, and vice versa. We offer both transistor open-collector and line-driver types for the ASG/BSG outputs, and the pulse output delays behind actuator movement by only 1 ms max. Please refer to the manual for more information regarding the ASG and BSG outputs. Let me know if you have any questions.

ron_roth

Postby ron_roth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 am

I saw a reference to the following on one of your web pages.

Oriental Motor offers a Stored Program Controller with RS-232C communications. Does this controller have faster updating of current positioning?

I am currently looking at purchasing a Item Number EZA4D005-K, Motorized Cylinder with Controller

Thanks!

Ron

om_tech_support_JT

Postby om_tech_support_JT » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:58 am

Hi Ron,

Yes. We do offer an alternate stored program type controller. However, it is AC-input. It won't work with your DC-input product. We would have to switch the model of your actuator in order to use an AC-input driver like this.

With this stored program type controller, you can directly communicate to it with your PC, and "call" the distance, and the driver will tell you the pulse count number from the electrical home position. This is immediately executed and displayed.

Another option for you is to set the ESMC-K2 controller in driver mode, then use an external controller to send the pulse signals. You can also "call" the pulse count data from the controller, and it will immediately execute the command and display the pulse count number from the electrical home.

RECOMMENDED CONTROLLER:
[ SCX10 ] USB/CANopen/RS-232C Universal Controller
http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/a ... lers/scx10

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Return to “Linear and Rotary Actuators and Controls”