How to Change Remote I/O via Mobus on AZ

Discuss anything that may not be product related here.
om_tech_support_PB

How to Change Remote I/O via Mobus on AZ

Post by om_tech_support_PB » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Q: I am using product AZD-AD via modbus/RS-485, and I want to change some of the remote I/O. How do I do this?

A: There are 16 configurable remote inputs and outputs on the AZ series driver (32 total). They are able to be configured 2 different ways- using our free-to-download MEXE02 software, or through modbus. When configuring the inputs and outputs via modbus, please refer to the Remote I/O Setting Parameters section of the AZ Series Function manual (starting on page 419), which shows the register address of each remote input and output and each initial value or setting.

A complete list of all the available input/output options for the configurable remote I/O can be found on pages 256-258 of the AZ Series Function manual.

For configuring an input using Modbus. please follow the steps below.
First, determine what input you would like to use and which remote input number you would like to assign the input to. In this example, we will be assigning DSEL4 to R-IN11, which is factory set to SSTART.

Second, using the input signal list, find the Assignment Number of the desired input.
DSEL4 is number 44. Photo 1 shows this.
Photo1.png
Photo 1: Input signal list showing assignment numbers
Photo1.png (64.21 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Next, determine the register address that corresponds to the remote input number you would like to assign the new input to. R-IN11 has register addresses 1216h (upper) and 1217h (lower). We primarily use the lower registers when communication via modbus.
Photo2.png
Photo 2: Register addresses for remote inputs
Photo2.png (127.75 KiB) Viewed 80 times

Lastly, write the assignment number to the register address of the input. In this case, DSEL4 is assignment number 44.
44 = 2C in hex.
And that value would be written to 1217h, so the message would look like the following:
01 06 1217 002C (checksum)
With 01 being the slave address, 06 being the function of writing, 1217 being the register address to write to, and 002C being the value that we want to write (44).

Once this has been written, the input should change; however, this change has been saved in the volatile memory, so a power cycle would reset the input back to the original value. Therefore, one must write a value of 1 to register address 0193h (lower). This writes the parameters saved in the RAM, or volatile memory, over to the non-volatile memory. Please see photo 3 below.
Photo3.png
Photo 3: Batch non-volatile memory
Photo3.png (16.48 KiB) Viewed 80 times

The message would look like the following:
01 06 0193 0001 (checksum)

If you have any questions on this process, please contact Technical Support for additional help.